Can we make Comments disappear from view?

Hello – nice to meet you all!

I’ve just switched from Word and am trying to figure out if I can turn off the Comments feature for a “cleaner” reading of the MS.

In Word, when the Comments function is switched from “Final Showing Markup” to “Final”, the comments disappear from view BUT are not deleted. I use this when I need to read through text without the intrusive comments causing distraction as there are about 400 of them.

Can we do this in Scrivener?

I changed the colour of the comments to white but it’s still highlighted in the text.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for switching to Scrivener! I’m afraid there is no way of turning of comments markup yet, but this is planned for a future version.

All the best,
Keith

What about using Format->Convert->Inline Annotatoins to Inspector Comments? That would put them in the inspector, effectively hiding them except for the highlighting of the word they were next to.

I assumed flodico was talking about inspector comments, and wanted to turn off the highlights around words that have inspector comments associated with them.

Have just switched over to Scrivener & am wondering if there’s a solution to this question ? (it’s several years old already) My issue is the same - I’d like to be able to read through the text, and the footnotes, without the visual distraction of the comments.

in the inspector - is there a way to collapse ALL comments, or ALL footnotes separately from one another? or is there a view where I can see only one of these? My comments and footnotes are very different types of notations & so it’s mentally tricky to constantly bounce between the 2

thx

This is a really old thread. Since then the View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Hide Markup feature was added to the software, which hides the embellishments drawn by inspector comments and footnotes. You can tune how it works in the Appearance: Textual Marks preference pane.

Regarding your second question: no, there is not a way to filter the inspector’s Footnotes & Comments view, nor any way to selectively impact these notes by type. It sounds like you may have already found this, but you can collapse/expand them all, however, using the standard View ▸ Outline ▸ commands and shortcuts.

Some ideas:

• You might consider keeping notes-to-self in the editor, using the Inline Annotations filter. That would keep them naturally separate from footnotes in the sidebar (or vice versa). I tend to keep all footnotes inline, most comments inline as well, but put some types of comments into the sidebar—particularly those that benefit more from the “bookmark” style behaviour they exhibit, of scrolling the view when you click on them.
  • There are others that put notes into documents, particularly for notes of extended length, this can be a superior method to either of these dedicated features. One would do so by selecting some text associated with the notes, and then hit ⌘L to create a new text item somewhere (having a dedicated folder for Notes is one way to go, and speeds up making new ones in the future as you can just hit the Enter key right after pressing the link shortcut).
  • And of course, don’t forget there is an entire notepad for every chunk of text in the Notes inspector tab and the Bookmarks tab can also serve as a really handy “notepad+” feature. Again these are more suited toward lengthy notes rather than quick one-liners.

Maybe you’ll find a similar balance between these diverse methods of notation that suits you better, rather than just sticking with the one single tool. I pretty much use all of the above, sometimes in the same project. :slight_smile: