can you disable new monitor display in Mavericks?

I see that apple’s mavericks OS update takes away the ability to stretch a program across two screens. Is there any workaround?
I like to have Scrivener on one screen and use the other for preview panes. Sometimes I like to split-screen Scrivener and stretch it across two monitors as well. I don’t want to lose this ability. Should I not update to mavericks?

There are a few drawbacks to the new display system, for sure. With this one in particular it feels like they through out the baby with the bathwater in order to fix the problems with full screen and spaces that existed in 10.7—8. Owning multiple monitors has always been a way to expand your overall display size—i.e. to have one big monitor spread over several pieces of hardware. The new change makes it so that instead of that, it’s more like having multiple individual displays—which in my opinion displays the same level of disregard for established usages, that were shown in full screen and spaces to begin with. Basically they messed up the concept of virtual desktops—the “poor man’s” multiple monitor setup—so badly that they’ve had to reduce the real solution, multiple monitors, to being equally useless as virtual desktops now are.

The slight good news is that there may be some hidden settings available to fix these problems. That is very slight though, because hidden settings can have unintended consequences, not being tested thoroughly, and may disappear in the future.

Hidden, as in unchecking System Preferences/Mission Control/Displays have separate Spaces ?

:smiley:

(Found this courtesy the MacWorld Mavericks review)

Dave

Ooo, nice! I wasn’t aware that had been resolved. That’s one less annoyance!

Thanks for the input. Yes, apparently you can switch it off in preferences, according to the email I got from the very helpful Lit/Latte team:

In Mavericks you can restore the “old” behavior by going to “System
Preferences > Mission Control” and disabling “Displays have separate spaces.”

Jeff
Literature and Latte Support

Thank goodness for that. Now if I can just reverse the scrolling (I’ve been using a free add-on app but I don’t know yet if it will work with Mavericks), I’ll be fine!

Most all of the abominations can be disabled, though some require a tool like Deeper to do so. You can turn off that iOS rubberband scrolling when you get to the end, for instance, or the animated delay when switching spaces. “Natural” scrolling can be disabled in the Trackpad system preference pane, under “Scroll & Zoom”.

Mavericks has thwarting my attempts to use it with Compose Mode on a secondary monitor. To get to the Compose Mode toolbar, I have to mouse to the bottom of the screen, but every time I do, the stupid dock insists on popping up atop it. Infuriating. I know I can turn off separate spaces to fix this, but this defeats the purpose entirely. The one thing I was most enjoying about Mavericks is ruined by the pesky dock behaviour.

Putting the dock on the left or the right is not an option for me either. Hopefully someone will discover a way to suppress only the dock switching and maintain the other options of multi-monitor setups under Mavericks.

It’s a bit scorched earth, but if you type in killall Dock from Terminal that will shut it down. I’m not sure if that will have any side-effects, but if you rarely use it anyway, banishing it completely might be desirable. If you want it back you can type in open /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app.

You know that might not be a bad idea until somebody creates a better workaround. I could make it an automator action or an applescript that prompted me to bring the dock back when I needed it.

Will set to work on it now, thanks!

It appears that the problem with killall Dock is that it comes back immediately. Is there a way to kill it and keep it suppressed until I ask it to return? In my automator action I’ve set up a dialogue box, but the Dock is already back before I can click anything.

Found this for anyone interested. Easier than I thought.
lifehacker.com/5814382/hide-and- … d-shortcut

I’m having the same problem since upgrading to Mavericks, and its not just an issue with the dock. There is something else going on.

I use a laptop with two external monitors. Typically I have the Scrivener editor open on one external monitor, and, before Mavericks, Compose Mode would open on the other external monitor (that is, instead of the laptop). Since Mavericks, Compose mode opens on the laptop, rather than the other external monitor. This in and of itself is not a problem, but I just note the difference in behavior.

The problem, as Sam suggested, is that Compose mode does not seem to be going “full screen.” Rather, it appears in a layer “behind” the menubar, and behind the dock. So the problem isn’t that the dock keeps popping up; that seems to be a symptom. The problem is that the dock, and menubar, shouldn’t be “in front of” Compose mode. (One consequence of this is that I cannot access Compose mode’s control bar.)

None of this is an issue if, in system preferences, you deselect “Displays have separate spaces.”

I had thought the issue with Compose might have to do with a noted issue with DisplayLink (one of my monitors is connected through USB). There has since been a DisplayLink upgrade to deal with some known issues with Mavericks. The upgrade has resolved some of these issues, but the problem with Compose remains.