Can you link parts of the text for notes?

When editing, I do multiple passes and sometimes want to take a note and come back to it latter. Also, I keep notes about flow, possible repetition and sometimes need to go back and fourth in the document. A converted word user, the notes were perfect for this. Trying to do this in scrivener,

I had the idea of keeping all my notes in one text document, splitting the screen and having a quick side reference.

What I want to do is link certain lines on one text page to specific lines in the notes. Kind of like a footnote. This is for the editing process. Can this be done?
Thanks

This isn’t possible, but I think we might have a better solution for you coming down the pipe-line. I’m not sure if it will be ready for the next release, but we will have an alternate footnote/annotation system for use, in addition to the existing one, which places footnotes and comments in a stack in the inspector. The stack is non-spatial, so in other words a footnote on page 3 and the next on page 8 will be stacked together and instantly visible. Clicking on any of them scrolls the view to the anchor position in the main text. This is really going to be your “list of notes” interface going forward, and kind of negates the need for a second document of notes. The inline notation system remains useful for notes that do benefit from being spatial and disappearing when you aren’t looking at the text they concern.

Thank you. That sounds good. I will have to read up on the annotations.

I was looking for a feature like this as well but for a different reason. I like to keep world and story notes of my fiction in a separate folder, spread across documents by topic. For example I keep a glossary of various terms and idioms used by my characters. This way I can later export the entire folder as a story bible for use later when revising.

It would be nice if I was capable of creating a click-able link between files to specific paragraph or line inside another text file. For now I’m relying upon just linking to the file and searching for the term. Is there any chance of this or a similar feature? I do not think the footnote/annotation system will be useful in this respect.

This isn’t generally a problem in Scrivener, and the reason for that is because of its more “database” nature. I can see no real reason for having a glossary that is typed up in one single text item, when it is just as easy to have a glossary that looks like this:

This one can be easily kept sorted; new entries can be rapidly generated to it via the append tools available; each entry is focussed on one term; each entry has full meta-data support (meaning each term can link outward to relevant materials); each entry can be linked to individually; or the whole glossary can be linked to collectively by linking to the “Glossary” folder (or “document” if you wish to think of it in such terms).

This same basic concept can be applied to nearly any form of structural document. If you have character dossiers that are pages long, why not break that up? Why not have a “Rufus” folder that has a “Traits” document in it, and a “Biography” document and so on? If each character has these things, it makes their dossier more flexible and accessible within the interface.

I hadn’t thought about that type of organization. It certainly works for the purposes of a glossary. I’ll try experimenting with that to see if it works well with my overall story bible format but I have hopes.

I’d still like to be able to link to inside a document, to save myself an excessive amount of text files for flexibility sake.

This really wasn’t what I was looking for, unless I’m missing something. I want the link for notes and suggestions that relate to specific text. For example, a critique from a writing partner. That way while you are reading it is there and if you want it in a document you can have that too. I prefer them off to the side then in an annotation. I was looking for a work around for editing issues and attempts at various changes.
Sort of like the word track changes and notes in bubbles in the margins.
But this is good for notes on characters, and then a search function can find them.

That suggestion was meant specifically for the glossary idea, and other things that would benefit from being compartmentalised like this. It won’t work for everything. We do have sidebar notes in the pipeline, and they will work a bit like Word’s comments, but with small improvements in how easy it is to work with them. For editorial notes and collaboration, they are perfect.

sounds good. Thanks