cannot compile! Help!

I am trying to compile my manuscript (export it into Word.) When I do so, I only get the titles of the folders and not the content of the folders. Each of my chapters is in its own folder. I have uploaded a screen shot of what that looks like. Perhaps someone can let me know if I’ve done something incorrectly, that is creating the problem I’m having with compiling? Hope you can help!!!

Well, OK, I figured out that if it is set as “original” the compile will work. I had chosen something else, I think “manuscript.” No idea why it will only compile when original is selected but at least I’m making progress.

Briar Kit, thanks for your PM. I tried a few times to reply to you but was unable. Yes, I had done what you were asking. (I figured out that if it is set as “original” the compile will work. I had chosen something else, I think “manuscript.” No idea why it will only compile when original is selected but at least I’m making progress.)

Thanks!

The reason that standard compile settings don’t produce your text is that, to extend the visual metaphor of ‘folders’ and ‘documents’, you wrote ‘on’ the folder, rather than on pages of a document contained ‘in’ the folder. The standard compile settings don’t include the text written ‘on’ the folder, so you don’t get any of your text as a result.

Going to the “Formatting” section of the compile window and selecting the “Text” checkbox on the “level 2” folder row should sort you out. Or you could create documents in the folders, and move the text from the folder to the documents; this is how I’d suggest you structure your books in the future.

I hope that makes sense.