Cannot edit compile format

I am suddenly unable to edit any compile format. If I attempt to edit a custom format a compile window appears but the window is blank. If I attempt to Duplicate & Edit a standard compile format, the same blank window appears. All documents are sub-documents of the manuscript, i.e. Manuscript, Act, Scene. The Acts and Scenes are structure based. I can compile the document but not edit anything before compile, e.g. headers and footers.

Do I need to uninstall and re-install Scrivener?

It wouldn’t hurt to try that. Can you post a screenshot of the blank screen?

Screenshot attached.Compile format

Hmm … that is definitely a problem. It looks like Scrivener is reaching for a file it can’t find or access.

That would almost certainly fix it, and even if not, should be the first thing to try in a case like this. Corrupted or broken UI usually means the installation is bad.

Well, I just removed my Scrivener install and all associated files (other than projects). I then did a fresh install and activated my license. I opened the interactive tutorial and went to compile, assigned sections, selected Default compile and then Duplicate and Edit. Blank compile screen. Same result with other compile formats.

I went to a recent Scriv 3 project with the same result; blank screen. What I don’t understand is why this suddenly happened. It was working a week ago.

I’m stumped.

Any chance you’ve installed a new antivirus or firewall? Or recently changed settings of these? Or any other new software installed? Also, do you have a Windows Update pending? If so, might want to install that and see if the situation improves.

Jimrac, thanks for the suggestions but I only have the firewall/antivirus that comes with Windows 10. I did have to temporarily disable these a few days ago, briefly, but then restored them to normal settings (but I will check this).
No Windows updates pending.

All right, with the problem appearing to be systemic, I’d go into File ▸ Options..., and under General: Warnings, enable the logging option, and restart the software. This will show a running debugging log in a background window. Could you copy and paste whatever comes up after you try to open this window, if anything?

Amber, thanks very much for your reply on a Sunday! Above and beyond the call of duty. I run Windows in a VMWare Player installation. As soon as I started Windows OS I received a message that VMWare Tools was updating. After that finished, I restarted and opened Scrivener, started the log and …hey presto the problem was gone. I keep all my software up-to-date and VMWare tools had an update a few days ago, so I don’t think we need Sherlock Holmes to find the cause of the problem, although the precise way VMWare tools caused the problem will no doubt remain a mystery.

Many thanks. :clap: :clap:

Interesting! It is very strange that a VM would cause so specific a malfunction, but it wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened. If I had to guess, it may have been a font problem. If a specific font was needed to draw that window, and it wasn’t able to access it for some reason, it could cause the process of building the window to fail. At any rate, glad to hear things are copacetic again. :slight_smile: