Cannot edit since updating to Sierra

Hello!
I just updated to Mac Sierra and now cannot edit, select, or click on anything in the program. It crashes. Also older versions of novels don’t open at all. They crash as well. Is there an update coming soon or is it just me?

Thanks,
Lisa Jacob

I would try reinstalling the software first, and if that doesn’t work, get in touch with technical support, we should be able to help you out. There are no widespread issues with 10.12 that would cause the software to become completely inoperable, so yes it does likely depend upon some specific conditions.

Tried to reinstall, but it didn’t work. So I’ll work with tech support. Thanks.
Lisa

I have the same problem. Any progress? I find I can still work with the files using the iOS version on my iPad Pro or the Windows version. But the macOS version I really need (for all of its greatly expanded compile/export settings) is a no go. Help?!

I have the same problem on my iMac.

As noted, please contact support for issues like this. They are very often extremely specific to the local configuration of the machine, and require sharing details about the computer that are better done in a private channel.

I have contacted support, but I have not heard back from them yet. :frowning:

The message said there was a high volume and it would take a few days. How long do we usually have to wait to hear back?

Steve

Hmm, that message should be switched off, I’ve fixed that. We should be getting back to you within a day, going by the current rate.

I got the following response from Jeff in support, and it solved my problem. The first suggestion didn’t work at all, but uninstalling and reinstalling Scrivener did. I find that a little odd as I’d already done that, but I hadn’t emptied the trash or rebooted the machine. Once I took those steps as well the problem was fixed. Yay! I offer it here in the hope that it helps others:


I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. First, with one of the projects that is crashing, try the following:

  • Find your project on your hard drive.

  • CTRL+Click (Right+Click) on the project and select “Show Package Contents.”

  • Navigate into the “Settings” subfolder and delete the file called “ui.plist”

  • Navigate into the “Files” subfolder and delete the file called “search.indexes”

  • Try re-opening the project.

If this doesn’t work (and I’m guessing it won’t, since you’ve reported problems with multiple projects) the next step is to try re-installing Scrivener. We’ve been seeing a few cases here and there where previously good Scrivener installations are becoming corrupted for unknown reasons. Re-installing usually fixes it. How you do that depends on where you got Scrivener from in the first place.

For the Mac App Store version of Scrivener:

Delete Scrivener from your “Applications” folder, then empty your system trash. I would also reboot the system at this point to clear out any “cached” App Store certificates from memory. Then open the App Store application and go to the “Purchases” tab. You should see Scrivener listed there with an “Install” button next to it, and clicking that button will download and install a new copy.

For the “Direct Sale” version of Scrivener (downloaded from our website):

Delete Scrivener from your “Applications” folder. Then download and install a fresh copy from our downloads page:
literatureandlatte.com/download_mac.php

Neither of these methods will impact your existing projects or settings.

Thanks for the posting what worked. I should also add that another person who contacted us (from this thread as well I believe) was able to resolve the problem with a simple reboot.

Hi,

Just for stats’ sake, I had the same problem.

I will follow the instructions above and see how it goes.

(Always scary stuff, losing your book.)

Regards,

Becca

… and it seems that this fix has worked for me. I deleted and reinstalled Scrivener.

Thanks forum,

Becca