Cannot get Scrivener to open

I downloaded the trial version of Scrivener that was made available to the 2010 NaNoWriMo participants. At the end of November, after reaching my 50,000 word limit, I then purchased Scrivener at the discounted price.
For the first time since then I’ve just tried to open Scrivener. I get a message box telling me that my trial is over and I need to buy it. I’m a little confused as once I click ok the message box disappeared, but Scrivener itself won’t open which means I cannot enter my registration info.
I’m really hoping someone can help because I’d like to use the software, particularly as I’ve paid for it. Do I have to download it again?

Yes, you need to download again. For one thing, the preview version had a little issue with the registration feature so it won’t let you add your license number anyway. :wink: Anyhow, there’ve been several updates–both added features and bug fixes–since the preview was released, so you’ll definitely want the latest version. Go to the main page of L&L and download the dmg from there. You can uninstall the Nanowrimo version you have first (just drag it to the trash)–I’m pretty sure it had a different name (like, ScrivenerNanoPreview or something) so it might not get overwritten by the new copy. Once you’ve got the new one installed, you should be able to enter your user name and serial number as they appear on your receipt and everything will be good to go!

Thank you, lots and lots!
If I remove the old preview version, will I still be able to open my NaNoWriMo novel? Got time to finally write some more, get the beast finished :smiley:

Oh, absolutely! Your project won’t be touched; it’s not saved inside the application bundle (unless you did some work to put it there, which seems ridiculously difficult to do). If you didn’t change the default location when you created the project, it’s probably stored in your Documents folder; you can use Spotlight to search for “.scriv” and find where it’s at on your hard drive. Once you have the new version installed, just open your project and have at it!

Good luck finishing! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help.
I did save a copy of my story in documents, and as it turns out, on dropbox too, just in case! :smiley:

Cheers 8)