can't Bold or Italic

Regardless of whether I use the formatting button or the keyboard shortcut, my bolds never display in my Scrivener doc on my MacBook Pro — 10.6.8. The button highlights, but the text doesn’t bold, and whenever I select that text again, the button is not highlighted. I can italicize, but I cannot un-italicize text by button or shortcut (only Undo). Underline works fine.

Been that way for a long time, and no change with my 2.4 update. Trashed the prefs too, same deal. I have another Scrivener install on a different Mac (same OS, I think), and these functions work just fine. Any idea? Thanks!

It sounds like a font issue. Which font are you using? Not all fonts support bold and italics.
All the best,
Keith

Yep, that was it. I was writing in Times New Roman, and changing the font to something else fixed the issue. But of course I wanna use TNR, and didn’t experience the same issue in Word. I pruned through all my fonts and discovered more than one copy of TNR (likely when Office was installed) that I assume caused a conflict. I got rid of the individual TTFs and kept the suitcase, and it works now.

Thanks!

Great, glad you got it sorted! I believe Word uses different copies of the fonts to most of the rest of OS X, which is why that wouldn’t be affected - fonts do have a tendency to get corrupted on the Mac from time to time, for some reason.

All the best,
Keith