Can't compile anything in a specific file

Hi, scriveners,

Sorry to bother the community with something trivial, but I must have broken something in the compile workflow.

A couple of hours ago, I compiled an article and then kept poking the compile setting; I duplicated a compile format and was trying to get Word to recognise headings, with no luck.

But I must have messed up something. Now, I can’t compile anything in this file. I tried the built-in compile formats, tried the default, and created a new one, but nothing seemed to work. I checked the “include in compile” box, and it’s enabled where it should be.

I don’t know if that is relevant, but the texts aren’t in the Draft folder. I don’t think it should matter, as I already compiled loads of articles before that weren’t in that folder.

I’ve tried to compile in another file (project), and it works, so I guess it must be something related to this particular file, but I really can’t figure it out. I must confess the compile options are quite something. To get everything worked out isn’t easy.

Any help will be much appreciated.

It does if the draft is what the compiler is told to compile… (Likely earlier you were set to compile “current selection”.)

I can’t currently come up with a screenshot, but look at the top right of your compiler, what it is set to compile… (?) (There is a list of document(s) that would therefor be part of the compile right underneath. Empty list = no compile.)

Same spot : you also don’t want the filter (funnel icon) turned on. Blue = turned on.

Another explanation would be that you unchecked everything in your compile format’s layouts panel top section. (In this case you’d get a list of documents to be part of the compile, but nothing to compile.) ← If other compile formats don’t compile either, that’s not it.

1 Like

Oh, I can’t believe it!

I had all the files I wanted checked for compiling, but the culprit was the goddamn filter. I had it turned on “Exclude.”

I thought it had to do with styles, which I’ve created to find specific text parts, like temporary citations within curly brackets, direct citations, etc. But it turned out to be much simpler.

Thank you very much for the help! I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to solve it, and I don’t think it would cross my mind to look at the filter.

By the way, do you know if it’s possible to make Microsoft Word automatically recognise headings? I keep word around for two reasons: i) transform temporary citations into permanent ones with Endnote, and ii) create the headings to make navigation easier in 15 + pages papers. If I can come up with a solution to the second, it may save me a couple of hours when it comes to the thesis.

Thank you again for the help!

Yes, there is. It is done by naming convention in Scrivener, since it doesn’t support the more elaborate settings Word does for this. Styling your text as “Heading 1” will create a top level heading, “Heading 2” second level, and so forth. This will give your document a true outline, which will show up in Word’s navigator, and can be used to insert a ToC.

In order to integrate such a scheme into your compile settings, I have a little how-to on that, which includes a demonstration, which can be imported into your compile Format sidebar by drag and drop from the file manager. The demo itself probably isn’t of any use to you directly, but the checklist in that post shows how it was made, and how easy it would be replicate that procedure into your existing design.

Also, make sure you are on the latest version of Scrivener. We did find some issues with heading outline support that were recently fixed in the Mac version.

1 Like

You people are always saving the day!

Thanks a lot!

Two more questions and that’s it.

Does it have to be named “Heading 1”, 2, and so forth? The immediate translation to Portuguese is “Cabeçalho”. I followed the how-to mentioned with Cabeçalho, but it didn’t work.

If I understood correctly, I will:

1. name the binder document, and
  2. enable Title in the Section Layouts within the chosen Compile Format and apply the correct style.
    That seems to be it.

But I have a (sub)section where I need to add a footnote to its title. I obviously can’t add a footnote to the title of the binder document. I thought of the following solution:

1. duplicate the relevant Section Layouts, and
  2. disable Title.
  3. put a placeholder at the beginning of the (sub)section and the footnote
  4. finally, format the placeholder with the appropriate style (Heading 1, 2…)
    Does this make sense?

I’m pretty sure it needs to be English in Scrivener at least, you can of course change their names once it is in the word processor, but I don’t recall seeing any notes about the naming convention being localised.

As for the details, yes! You’ve got it, that’s all perfectly fine to do. Scrivener does not care where the styled text comes from, it can be a mix of binder titles and editor text, and the editor method can be something you do rarely for special cases like this if you want.

The idea of using the <$title> placeholder in the text is precisely how I handle this. That way, from the “corkboard level” there is no difference to the eye, I don’t have to worry about it, I can rename it without having to remember to go in and fix the heading text manually.

1 Like

Thanks @AmberV! I spent a few hours tweaking a Compile format that I created. It’s working perfectly! I managed to get my footnotes in the title of a subsection (which are now automatically recognised by Word) and even discovered that I could get annotations to compile in the margin of the Word document. It’s an amazing feature that I can use to show my supervisor the original of a citation that I translated. Scrivener keeps surprising me.

2 Likes