Can't cut text either

When I select text in a text file, right click, then click Cut, the app closes out.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble. If you would like to go back to the previous version of Scrivener, you can download it here:
literatureandlatte.com/scriv … -2-5-0.exe

Are there any crash reports in the Scrivener/minidump directory?

Katherine

Given you’re having trouble with other commands too, I’d suggest first doing a full uninstall and reinstall of a fresh download of 1.5.3. Run the uninstaller and then manually delete the Scrivener installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener) before downloading 1.5.3 from the website and installing that. This isn’t a usual problem, so it may just be a corrupted install.

If you’re still having trouble, please let us know what version of Windows you are using and also look for the minidump folder that Katherine mentioned to see if it contains any files–this is a directory in the installation folder, so e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\minidump. As much as you can tell us about the reproduction will help as well. Does this happen for you in a newly created blank project with text typed straight into Scrivener’s editor, or is it specific to a certain project or to text originally pasted or imported from another program?

Uninstalled, deleted dir, reinstalled, still happening to new or existing projects. no files in minidump. What is next?

Any thoughts on what we should try next?

Sorry for the delay on this. One other person reported a similar problem, which didn’t occur when running in Safe Mode, suggesting that it may be resulting from a conflict with other software or services running. To help determine if that’s the case, you can try doing a selective startup for Windows, disabling all the usual startup programs, and then see if you are continuing to get this behvaiour in Scrivener. To do this:

1. Go to your Windows Start menu and type in “msconfig” and hit Enter (if you’re on XP, you’ll need to choose “Run” fro the Start menu, then type “msconfig”)

2. In the General tab, choose Selective Startup

3. Deselect “Load startup items”

4. Click “OK”

You’ll be prompted to restart Windows. When you next start up, these background programs won’t be running. Launch Scrivener and try the various cut and paste actions that are causing trouble. If it performs normally, we’ll take a look at the startup items you usually have running and can start turning them on in batches to figure out where the conflict lies. If you’re still getting the same behaviour, return to msconfig and choose Diagnostic Startup from the General tab, click OK, and try the reboot again. Diagnostic startup will disable other services as well as the programs, so it will give us another set of items to look at. After you’ve tested that, you can return to your regular bootup by going once more back to msconfig and then just selecting Normal Startup from the General tab.

Also, please do let us know what version of Windows you’re running.

Did that. With no startup items there was no change. Still can’t cut or paste. win 7.

Thanks for giving that a try and specifying your Windows version. Did you also try the Diagnostic startup from msconfig? That disables not just the startup software but also many non-essential services. Alternatively, if you’d rather, you could try starting up in Safe Mode by holding the F8 key during the boot sequence. As I said, another user did see a difference when running in Safe Mode, and it would help track this down if we knew the same was true for you. The developer is investigating this, but unfortunately we have very little to go on since only a few people have reproduced this problem.

Just to verify, there’s nothing unusual about the text you’re selecting to copy, e.g. it doesn’t contain linked or inline comments or footnotes, isn’t part of a table, etc.? You get this by just creating a new document, typing “hi”, selecting it, and trying to cut or copy the text?

Works in safe mode fine. Nothing unusual about the text or urls.

Here is a twist - when I start up without the Microsoft USB keyboard or wireless mouse and just use the laptop keyboard and mouse pad, it works fine. When I plug in the MS keyboard and wireless mouse it does not work. Driver incompatibility?

I have the latest drivers for both the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard, Logitech M305 mouse.

Interesting!

I,too am having the same problem with the program closing when I attempt to cut, copy or paste (it happens with both keyboard shortcuts and using the commands under the toolbar. I also am using WIndows 7.

I’ll follow the troubleshooting steps you suggested to the other user, and I’ll keep you posted on the outcome.

It is now doing it with or without the keyboard/mouse connected.

I may have found the answer. I removed Zemana antilogger (keystroke encryption) and everything seems to be working now. Not sure how it got installed without my knowledge, but it is gone now and all is okee dokee. Will let you know if I have any more troubles.

Aha! Thanks for the update.

QuantumLobster, are you running any kind of antikeylogger (ConstantGuard from XFINITY is one I know causes some compatibility issues) or other software that might intercept the keyboard input, e.g. a text expander or global hotkey service? If so, try disabling that and see if it resolves the issue in Scrivener.

I deleted comcast constant guard as well. Took me all afternoon to finally figure it out.

Hooray!!

I uninstalled Comcast Constant Guard, and Scrivener appears to be working as it ought to.

Thank you so much (Constant Guard had been bugging me for a long time, and now I had an excuse to get rid of it).

Yep, working great now. Love Scrivener. May have to get myself a Scrivener golf shirt or coffee cup after that!

Ok, you had me thinking that was a great income suggestion for KB et al.

However, they are already there – seems I do have a foggy memory about this.

cafepress.com/litnlat

In this case, the writing on the thong may be worth a squint :wink: