Can't get shortcut for 'New Text' to work (in Beta 1.055b)

Any ideas why apple-N won’t create a new text document for me?

Thanks.

It works fine for me in the latest beta. Try this: Watch the “Documents” menu in the menu bar the next time you press Cmd-N, does it flicker?

P.S. In the future, try to report beta bugs in the thread relating to that beta. It helps keep things tidy as this board here is meant for stable version tech support.

[quote="AmberV"P.S. In the future, try to report beta bugs in the thread relating to that beta. It helps keep things tidy as this board here is meant for stable version tech support.[/quote]

Yes, I tried to do that, but it kept telling me I had to be a moderator to post a new topic!

Re the command-N problem, I don’t get any flicker on the “Documents” menu. Weird. All I can think is somewhere along the line I must have reassigned the keystroke, but I don’t remember doing so.

Oh, sorry, let me clarify. I mean the actual thread that Keith posted announcing the beta version. In this case, it is here.

It does indeed sound as though Cmd-N is no longer assigned to what it should be assigned to. Have you gone through the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, in the Keyboard and Mouse system preference pane? That is where such things are usually kept. Another thing to check is: Does Cmd-N work in other programs the way you would expect? If it does, that will help you narrow down your search.

Well - cmd-N doesn’t work in anything anymore! I’ve set my shortcuts back to default. The only change recently was an upgrade to 10.4.10. I suspect this is the culprit, as cmd-N has always worked in the past. Ah well … what to do!

I’m running 10.4.10 and command-N works for me. Just so you know…

Pandora, at this point these are the steps I would take. Since your shortcuts do not seem to be where the blame sits. Log out of your user account, and then log back in while holding the shift key down. This will disable all of the things that normally start up when you first log in. It should log in fairly quickly. Then try using Cmd-N. If it does work then something you are ordinarily running is conflicting. You can go to Account Preferences under Login Items, and double-click each one sequentially until you hit the one that is causing problems. If holding down shift doesn’t fix the problem for you, then I don’t know.

Thanks AmberV! That was a brilliant bit of business you suggested: By disabling the start-up items and then opening them one by one I discovered I’d set a hotkey in ‘sidenote’ using cmd-N, and that was the culprit. All working as normal now.

Excellent! That Sidenote was to blame actually doesn’t surprise me. It has been the root of other shortcut problems before.