Can't Import Formatted Files

Hey all,

I’ve been having a great time using Scrivener and it’s been working very well for me. That is until today. And I have no idea what happened.

I’ve got quite a few books in Word documents that I’ve been moving over to Scrivener and compiling with no problem at all. In fact, I finished another one just yesterday.

Then today, when I tried to do another book, every time I tried to import a file that had specific formatting (like bolded words, bigger font, 1.5 line spacing or small images–nothing I haven’t done before) it wouldn’t come across the same way. Font sizes changed, images disappeared and line spacing all changed to single. What the heck???

I haven’t done a single thing different. I have a specific template that I use for my books and as usual, pulled it up to use on this story. But for the first time, it didn’t work. All the problems I mentioned above happened.

So, I used one of the previously done books already in scrivener and tried to import a file into it. And the same thing happened. The formatting wouldn’t import properly, even in a book it had done perfectly before. HUH???

Again, I have done nothing different–used the exact same techniques I’ve done dozens of times before and changed NO settings, so what could have happened? Why isn’t anything working like it’s supposed to?

Did I hit a button by mistake somehow? HELP!!!

Can anyone help me with this???

CJ

From your description, it sounds like Scrivener is having trouble using the enhanced converter on this file, and falling back to the Mac OS X .doc/x converter (which is pretty bad and will drop graphics and line spacing just like you describe). I would go back and import another .doc/x file and see if it works still. If so, it’s a problem with the one file, otherwise something on the system changed (Java updates?) between then and now.

Either way, RTF format is Scrivener’s native format so you can avoid the whole conversion problem by converting the file yourself in the original word processor. Just open the Word file and use “Save As” with RTF as the format. So that’s what I would recommend using anyway, even if things work normally otherwise. It will be a lot faster for one thing, and why not use a program’s native format when you can.