Can't save on zip stick?

Hi all. When I try to save my Scrivener files onto a zip stick, it asks me if I want to save the file without any of its properties. Am I doing something wrong? It’s a Windows 10 machine if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Could you please explain in more detail exactly what it is you are trying to do? Is it to change the default directory into which Scrivener saves it auto saves, or is it the zipped backups, or what do you mean by “save my Scrivener files”? And the zip stick – is it a usb stick or something else?

Sorry about that. Yes, it is a USB stick and the reason for it is that I was having issues with Dropbox setup before and so decided to just back my files up locally. Well, low and behold, now it seems that my PC might be showing signs of age and I don’t want to lose everything. Therefore, all I am trying to do is to back up what I have now to my USB stick.

The safest way to do it is probably to let Scrivener create zipped backups, and then you copy those zip-files to the usb stick.
Another alternative is to copy the whole folders, using the normal file handling in Windows Explorer.

I actually was trying to save the whole folder. I have saved it before like this and so I thought maybe something had changed with an update or something. I’ll try to use your first suggestion and allow Scrivener to make the zip files.

Thanks for the help :smiley:

How is the USB stick formatted? If your base Windows machine is NTFS (most modern versions of Windows are) but the USB stick is still some variant of FAT (FAT32, etc.) then there are conceivably situations where some of the extended file properties (permissions, etc.) could get stripped when saved to FAT. Having said that, it shouldn’t cause the loss of any data – as far as I know, Scrivener isn’t using extended file properties to save any data.

Try it with a test file, then go look and see what happens. (Try it on a small file, if possible.)

No, Scrivener does not use extended file properties. It can’t, because Mac OS and Windows use different file systems, and projects have to be portable between the two.

Katherine

Here’s how to do it safely: Open every one of your projects in Scrivener, then use the menu File->Back Up->Back Up To…, choose the .zip compression option, and then point it at your thumb drive. Let it backup there, close that project and move on to the next one.

Back in the days of System v.whatever, files copied directly from Macs to Windows NTFS could contain the Mac’s resource fork as a separate file stream in NTFS. It wasn’t hugely common, but it happened. I don’t know if it still does that under OS X, as I always use DropBox or some other service to move files between platforms these days, and I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t ignorant of some special use case. :slight_smile:

And then once you get them to the target computer, you will need to extract each of them FROM their ZIP file. Otherwise, Scrivener will be mightily confused.