Can't seem to export as OPML

I made a long bulleted list in Scrivener and I’m trying to export it to Omni Outliner. I’ve tried exporting several ways and I get an Omni Outliner document that has only the title of the document.

Do I need to split everything up as individual sections or is there a way to export this document as an outline?

A related Issue: I’d like to be able to view it as an outline in Scrivner as well but I only get the title.

Additional question: Is there an easy way to split up the bullet points so that they do appear as an outline? I know how to do it one paragraph at a time, but is there a way to do it all at once?

The feature to export an OPML file doesn’t turn any text content into an outline, but rather the outline in Scrivener (the title of your documents and their hierarchical arrangement). So yes, if you have an outline you want to freely transfer between other outlining programs, you’ll need use Scrivener like an outliner (and after all, as with OmniOutliner, that is its natural mode of operation—OO won’t turn a casual bullet list in a node note into an outline either to my recollection, it’s the same idea). So that’s mostly just for future reference.

After a fashion, yes. OmniOutliner has a neat capability: it can take a pasted text list that uses nothing but tabs to indicate outline depth (basically an old-school plain-text outline without the markers—but since we are copying from Scrivener, your text will remain formatted). All you need to do is convert your list in Scrivener to tab-indented text. I would do so using the following method:

1. First duplicate your document with the list in it as this will be destructive (Cmd-D).
  2. Place your cursor directly before the first letter on a standard bullet line and press Shift-Cmd-LeftArrow to select the bullet stuff without any letters.
  3. Hit Cmd-E to load your selection into the Find panel.
  4. Load the Find panel Cmd-F.
  5. Leave the replacement field empty, and replace all.

Now move on to the next level of bullet doing the same procedure, only for the fifth step, add a Tab character to what the bullet will be replaced with (Opt-Tab to insert whitespace characters). Continue down through all the levels of the outline, increasing how many tabs you use to indent the text in the replacement field.

Note: if you use the same bullet character for multiple levels you’ll run into difficulties replacing all at once. I’d advise choosing distinct bullet types for each level, you’re wiping them out anyway so it doesn’t really matter what it looks like.

Now simply copy and paste the whole thing into an OmniOutliner window (make sure you aren’t in edit mode or you’ll just paste the whole list into some node’s title field).

Now that you have that, when you’re done doing what you wanted to do in OmniOutliner you can save from OO as an OPML file and drag and drop that file into your project binder to bring the outline in as an outline. You should be much more agile going forward. :slight_smile: