Can't start a new project from my own template

Dear community,
I’ve finally managed to set up my “perfect” document for novels. I saved it as a template and wanted to start a new project from this template.
But somehow it doesn’t work.
I go to “File” → “New Project” and choose “Fiction” where my template is saved. Then I click on the template “Fantasy Novel” as I called it and when I click on “Anlegen” (That’s the German translation for Start) a window opens and I’m asked to choose a name for my project.
After that I get back to “Templates”. But the new project doesn’t open.
If I choose a default template to start a new project the new document opens right away after I have named it.
Why doesn’t this happen with my own template? What have I done wrong?
With my own template I would have to click on “start” again after naming my new project but then Scrivener would tell me that I didn’t have the authorization to start a new project in this folder. Why is that?
I can navigate to the file in Windows where I named my new project. And there is a file. But if I start to open it from there Scrivener tells me: “The project you are trying to load uses an older file format. Would you like to update it? A copy of the old project will be saved in the same directory.”
If I choose OK, nothing happens. Well, not nothing, because Scrivener does indeed save a copy of the project but it doesn’t update or even open it. If I try again, I get another copy but I still can’t open it.
Why does Scrivener say that it’s an older file format? I’m using Scrivener 3 and I had just started this new project from my own template, also made with Scrivener 3. There is no older format.
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance.

Pamina

Do you think it might be caused by this bug?

Hm. I’m not sure. I didn’t use any other characters in the project title than ASCI I character.
But perhaps it will be fixed with the next update if it’s a bug.
Meanwhile I’ve started a new project and copied my character and other templates from an other project into the new one. Then I had to install the other folders in the project by hand but at least I can work with it now.

Pamina

Just to make sure we are on the same page, it wouldn’t be the project title that matters, but the actual folder name of the project you used to create the template from. You wouldn’t think that would matter, but the way templates work is by zipping the original project, so it ends up as “some project.zip” inside the template. If that name has umlauts or something, then it could mess up the unzip tool.

But if that’s definitely not it, would you mind sending a copy to us to take a look at? If there is another bug, as you say, it might not be one we are aware of yet—and so it probably wouldn’t be fixed in that case.

If you aren’t sure how to do that, you can right-click on the template in the New Project window to “Export Template…”. Save it as a file somewhere convenient, and then send me a PM with it attached. Or you can just attach it here if you don’t mind everyone seeing it.

Thank you so much, AmberV for you second message! I renamed the folder and the title of the the project I created the template from. There really was an umlaut in it.
Now it works.
Thanks again!
Pamina

1 Like