Can't upgrade because 1.0.3 won't check for update.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have no problem with humiliation, so I’ll ask it anyway.

I was excited to see the following message:

[i]Hi Windows Users,

We have just launched the update for Windows 1.2.1 and I wanted to let you know. If you are running Scrivener 1.0.3, you can update to the latest version by choosing ‘Check for Updates…’ from the Help menu, then simply follow the upgrade prompts.[/i]

So, I dutifully uninstalled two beta versions back to version 1.0.3 in preparation for the joys of installing version 1.2.1. But, alas, it was not to be. Why, you ask? Because version 1.0.3 won’t allow me to check for updates. Seems like I recall this being fixed in one of the betas I’ve just removed. I find myself perplexed and would sincerely appreciate some learned advice about how I might upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dick Keaton

If for some reason the built-in updater stops working, you can always just download the latest version off of the main website and install that to upgrade.

That’s what I had to do, since I’m hit with the “no active internet connection” bug on 1.2.0.1. It seems to persist through the most recent version, too.

I think this is a registry issue. I had removed my betas as well and uninstalled 1.0.3 and then installed 1.2.1 and I would get an error message about the internet connection whenever trying to check for update… then I uninstalled 1.2.1 and installed 1.2.2 and go the same issue. It turns out there was a registry entry that was pointing to one of the beta directories (even after uninstalling and re-installing Scrivener). Once I fixed that, the update function seemed to work again. I don’t remember the exact location of the registry location, but doing a search for Scrivener, I found an entry pointing to the wrong folder for the file “ewebclient.dll”.

Problem for me now is that I can’t deactivate b/c it’s complaining that the activation key can’t be found. Everything else runs fine, but I’m concerned about activation issues in the future.

Hrmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. I’m not finding “ewebclient.dll” in my registry anywhere. Nor am I finding anything about an update check.

One entry pointed to C:\Program Files\ScrivenerBeta, but I changed that, and it still doesn’t work. I think I’m going to uninstall Scrivener, delete Scrivener from the registry, and try again.

I get that sometimes, too. I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Clean install, wiped Scrivener from the registry (so I thought) and I’m still not able to update. I’m also not finding a registry entry for eWebClient.dll anymore.

Any kind souls know where the entry should be? I went a bit…scorched earth…in my registry cleansing.

ETA: that’s with 1.2.3.0.