Caution Word List

I have a macro I currently use in Word that takes a list of caution or weak words like: “all”, “almost” and many “ly” based words. It then highlights those words in the text so I can clean things up during the revision process. It would be nice if Scrivener supported such a feature.

I don’t want to discourage you (too much), but I suggest you look at

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10286&start=0

and

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/in-built-copy-editor/10435/1]

to get a sense of what features Scrivener’s developers – and many of its users – consider to be suitable and necessary, and which are in that neverneverland between improbable and out of the question.

ps

Does that means that I am officially a “lost boy”?

Well, hot damn. Serves me right for not reading anything before posting a feature request. That editminion.com comes close to what I needed, thanks for the pointer. Saves me the trouble of coding it myself. A simple copy/paste is all that is required. Very cool.

As for a philosophical debate on what Scrivener should or should not support… We as users can only make suggestions and the developers can either choose to add or to ignore feature requests. No matter what, it is a great tool for the price.

Yes, you should certainly feel free to make suggestions even if I say “no”, and that shouldn’t discourage you from further suggestions (or debating with me - so long as it doesn’t spiral into a “You’re an idiot developer for not doing this!” of course :slight_smile: ), so please don’t get the wrong idea.

But in general I prefer to keep copy-editing and proof-reading style tools out of Scrivener itself - I feel this is best left to dedicated plugins, partly because they would involve a lot of coding and work and would involve me setting myself up as an expert in grammar or suchlike.

That said, it seems to me that your suggestion isn’t actually asking for copy-editing tools exactly but for some more advanced search tools, which isn’t out of scope. In the meantime, one thing you could do is run a search (set to search for “All words” as the “Operator” in the search field menu - which can be accessed by clicking on the arrow in the project search field) for all the words you want to flag up. Then save the search as a collection (again using search menu, selecting “Save search…”). Name the collection something like “Weak Words”. That way, whenever you click on that collection, you will get a list of all the documents containing those words, and clicking on the documents within that collection will open the documents with all the words in the search highlighted.

To make this more effective, it might be nice if the search could take a list of words from somewhere else rather than having you type them all into the search field, and if “All words” and “Whole word” could be combined as the operator, or if there were other options for “Starts with” and “Ends with”, so that you could choose “Ends with” and set “ly” as a search term to find all words ending with “-ly”; it would also be nice if you could combine multiple searches. With a more advanced search feature you could therefore achieve everything you want (although as I say, you can achieve some of it already). This is certainly something I would like to look at in the future - although probably not until 2.5 or so. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for responding.

Yes, what I’m asking for is an enhancement to the search tool, not a full blown grammar checker. Way different ends of the spectrum of complexity.

Something along the lines of a new “Find” feature, like “Find by List…” and then have either text document you could point to in the project, or a standalone dialog with a stored textbox/list of words separated by newlines and the ability to copy/paste into that list. That way I could maintain a list of words I would like to search for and highlight. That would allow me to put whatever list I want, be it weak words, overused words, etc.

Another idea might be to implement wildcard searches which would allow for finding words based on patterns… maybe open up a RegEx type search feature that should be easy to implement and would offer a way to search and highlight based on almost anything one could think of.