change font format without changing bold letters

Hi, I use emboldened characters a lot to draw out specific words in quotes.

The problem is if I want to change the quote font it gets rid of the bold too.

This is probably a deal breaker for me. I’m just so surprised that this doesn’t handle this type of situation. I don’t believe I’ve ever experienced this.

Is there a way to change this or what?

On another note: what happens when you’re like me and want to have two fonts to differentiate between quotes and what is my ordinary text - I write non-fiction mostly and I don’t see a way to mark any paragraph as a quote so that I can change all quotes later to another font if I so choose.

Are you talking about typing a quote in the editor, making a word or words bold, then changing the font and the bold is gone? Because that’s not happening on my system, and I’ve tried a number of fonts to try and replicate the problem.

Are you talking about the compile process? Because despite what font I choose for my compiled draft, the bold carries over.

Or are you talking about copying from another program and pasting into Scrivener and the bold is stripped out during the copy-paste process?

It would be helpful for you to explain exactly what you’re doing to get the issue to occur, so we can more easily attempt to help you remedy it.

Forgot to address the second part. There are a few ways this can be done.

I think the easiest way is to use the “Preserve formatting” button in Scrivener. Highlight the quote you want to have different formatting for and choose Preserve formatting. Upon compile, whichever passages you highlight will look the way they do in the Scrivener editor, rather than how the compile engine will adjust the rest of the text.

Alternatively, you can make all of the quotes that will be a different font separate documents. You can then drop them to a different level in the Binder (without affecting their position in your compiled piece) and adjust the compile settings for their level to be different from the non-quote documents in your piece. This is more work than the Preserve Formatting option, but it gives you the ability to be able to see all of your quotes individually, if you want, and find them quickly. I don’t know if that’s anything you care about, though. Or, instead of dropping them a level, you can click the “compile as-is” button for each of the quote documents and set their formatting within Scrivener. Upon compile, they should look exactly the way they look in the Scrivener editor. Again, this is more work, and while there might be a reason to consider it, I’m not sure what it would be.

Lastly, you can put a string of characters next to the quote that would never appear organically in your writing. Something like “XXXQUOTEXXX,” which you’d probably never write as part of the text of the actual document. This would allow you to do a search for the character string later and find all the occurrences and change the font as you see fit. This might be the most time-consuming of the options, and I’m not sure if it’s something you’d even want to consider, except that it IS an option to consider.

Hopefully this helps.

I did copy/paste from another program and that was fine but when I want to change a font in Scrivener using its apply preset formatting it changes everything to just the font. I don’t think I’m going to be able to get used to the idea that I’ll actually have to change all I have to by doing it the long way.

Like I said before - this will probably be a deal breaker - it’s just that I’ve never used a writing program before that didn’t handle this situation.

It looks like good program to write in but then I’ll have to use a separate one to reformat it?

Yeah, I guess I’ll have to play around with Preserve Formatting and see what it actually does. Although I really don’t want to lock it down in a format that I might want to change later.
The second one I have no idea what that means or what it would look like. Do you have an example of that? I couldn’t imagine how you would keep that straight.
The 3rd one is a no wayer for me.

This is going to be a really long book and I can’t keep going through it for formats sake. I decided to try this because it did look promising as far as me keeping everything straight in my discourse but this looks like a back breaker obstacle to me.

So the text is in Scrivener, and it looks right in the Editor (with the right words bolded). Then you decide to change the font and the bold is removed? How are you changing the font? Are you using “Convert to default formatting” to accomplish this?

I’m changing the font by applying a preset format that I’ve made.

Hasn’t anyone ever suggested a paragraph marker? Where if you change the preset format all of the paragraphs marked with that preset change to the new format?

The trouble is the preset you’re using is overriding character formatting. Try formatting some “test” text the way you want it to look, then select that text and go to format->formatting ->new preset from selection

When the window pops up, select “Save paragraph Style” from the dropdown list, rather than leaving it at “save all formatting” or “save character attributes”. Check the “include font” and “include font size” check-marks.

That new “style” will then leave your bolds untouched, even as it changes the font and paragraph settings.

Yes, many, many times. They’re also called “Styles” (but are “true” styles, instead of these formatting presets that use the same word), and are finally coming in version 3 (sometime in the future, no dates are going to be given by the developer–he’s been burned too badly by suggesting dates he couldn’t meet with the iOS version). When that version comes along, you’ll be able to redefine what a “block quote” means in terms of formatting, and all the text in the project that has been tagged as that style will change.

… As far as I know. I’m just an outside observer, but that’s how styles are supposed to work, as I understand them.

Okay, good to know. I think I’ve already tried what you’ve suggested. Honestly it’s not going to really work unless they are “Styles” and I can mark each paragraph with a style that I want.
I don’t even have 50 pages yet with this opus and I haven’t gotten through a small amount yet. So, I’m thinking that I really don’t want to go through this and change all the formatting again like the last one.
I guess I’ll just use this program for a diagramming and wait for 3.
Thanks.