change in handling figures?

Hello,
I previously dragged images from the Research folder into my documents, To caption them, I would follow the image with a caption in square brackets in the next line. The reference label for the image would automatically be the file name, with all letters turned lower case, if they weren’t already. So in the text, I could refer to the image with the syntax

[ ] (#filename.jpg)

which would return

(\autoref{filename.jpg})

in the latex document. Once compiled in Latex, that then gives you a (Figure n), with the figures automatically being numbered throughout the document, allowing for an automated Table of Figures at the end.

That’s not happening anymore, the image is still inserted, but neither caption nor figure referencing works.
I don’t believe i’ve changed anything other than the upgrade to Scrivener 3, so I don’t think it’s anything to do with the Latex environment.

Does anybody know what’s changed in mmd and/or Scrivener 3 and how that works now?

Thank you,
wagnertoph

That looks to me, given your syntax format, a type of reference that was removed from MultiMarkdown v6, which Scrivener updated to in 3.0.3.

Note point #2 in the “Differences…” section.

Fortunately it should be pretty easy to clean those up with a bulk search and replace, if that’s the problem.

Hi,
thank you so much for your quick reply.

There seems to be more to it, I think. When I drop the image in from the research folder (without attempting any caption or labelling), I now get the latex syntax:

\includegraphics[width=421pt,height=440pt]{filename.jpg}

where before I got:

\begin{figure}[htbp] \centering \includegraphics[keepaspectratio,width=\textwidth,height=0.75\textheight]{filename.jpg} \label{filename.jpg} \end{figure}

Is dropping an image file in from the research folder no longer supported in the same way? I seems to be missing the whole part that defines it as a “figure”.

Thank you,
wagnertoph

Ah, I missed that second part to the question. I couldn’t say with any certainty, as I don’t know what the intermediate result is that Scrivener is creating and sending to MultiMarkdown. I can say it has nothing to do with where the image comes from at least.

When I’m trying to figure out why something isn’t working the way I expect, I’ll compile to plain MMD, and look for any potential issues with the output that might interfere with it being converted to LaTeX by MMD. For example, a missing carriage return before or after the image will cause it to become attached to the nearest paragraph, and be treated as an inline graphic instead of a figure.

Thank you, that sounds like a plan, I’ll have a look what might be happening there.

Best wishes,
wagnertoph

Hi!

This might be the code-

CODE: SELECT ALL

[ ] (#filename.jpg)

which would return
CODE: SELECT ALL

(\autoref{filename.jpg})

in the latex document. Once compiled in Latex, that then gives you a (Figure n), with the figures automatically being numbered throughout the document, allowing for an automated Table of Figures at the end.