Change sequence of documents in scrivenings view

Is it possible to change the sequence of views in Scrivening without physically changing the binder sequence. Say I have a Binder with topics A B C D E and want to view them in Scrivenings and rearrange the sequence to see how it reads. e.g. Scrivenings with: A C E, but then I want to see A E C i.e. E BEFORE C. I can do this by changing the Binder sequence but can I do it off the cuff by changing the sequence of choosing the order of what to have in scrivenings. i.e. Click on A then E then C. Right now, if I do that I get ACE, not AEC. How do (if) I do that.

Check out Collections. From the manual: “10.2.2 Standard collections are just the ticket for storing ad hoc lists of items. You have full control over what is listed within them as well as the order in which they appear.”

Not so much my worry. Sometimes when you write you think “is this sequence, or that sequence, better” where ‘this’ is one sequence (e.g. ACE) and ‘that’ (e.g. AEC) is another. It is like a thought experiment, except you want to see it on the screen, especially when it is not ACE, but ‘A N B D C’ or whatever.

What is not so much your worry? “Is it possible to change the sequence of views in Scrivening without physically changing the binder sequence.” Yes, check out Collections.

When I do that, I get the same behavior. From a linear sequence of ABCDEF, I want to be able to choose A C F B (or whatever) by clicking on them with a mouse and having them line up in scrivenings in the desired order. I cannot get Collections to do that. It does not work; all I get is A B C F. I have to physically change the sequence. While helpful, it still does not permit a ‘fluid’ pick and choose. All I gain is not losing the original sequence in the Research folder.

Hm, try clicking on this icon, it should refresh the Scrivenings in the editor and reflect the order of scenes in your Collection:

Perhaps what OP missed is this: It is not the order in which you click on the files that makes the Collection show in a special order, but the order you drag them to in the collection binder area. That is, a Collection binder is reorderable on the fly and this does not reorder the docs in the binder itself.

When I do that, say I select A D B, and then the reverse arrow shown in your diagram, then ALL of the elements of the binder (ABCDEF) are selected, and in order. I fiddled around a bit and could find no way to get what I wanted. It is as though the binder contents are linked in a specific manner and can only be modified through a specific action, such as adding another element, or putting a new element in between another.

Reply to GR
I don’t really care about the sequence as it is entered in to the collection, what I want to do is to be able, using Scrivenings, to ‘jiggle’ the sequence in various ways to see how a particular sequence of documents works. One may do this in their head, by exploring how A C B might read, as opposed to A B C, but I want to see it on the screen, and I might want e.g. A B C H D E M L. There may be several variations to explore and I want to be able to explore them quickly (as opposed to setting each one up in Collections) using a mouse click to set up the desired sequence. It is a visualization tool. Maybe it can’t be done. Right now it seems not, but I could be wrong and thus am asking here if I can do it, and if not, is it a feasible thing to implement in a later version of Scrivener.

So you want “using a mouse click to set up the desired sequence” without “setting each one up in Collections”? How is Scrivener supposed to know how such sequences should be arranged without you telling it? :thinking:

1 Like

I think I am seeing more clearly now that you are only really interested in achieving the result if implemented in that particular way you imagined would be nice — or at least that is what you want a clear answer on.

So then the answer for you is just this: Scrivenings mode does not order the docs in the Editor by the order in which you click on them (as you know) and there is not a special mode of scrivenings mode in which it does. (Folks are trying to help you get the thing done in others ways — assuming that was what was important — and precisely because you cannot do it in the fashion you were hoping to.)

1 Like

As others have said, reordering a Collection is the “official” mechanism for doing this. You might try experimenting with that approach, rather than simply dismissing it or waiting for a future release, as the developer is typically resistant to re-implementing tools that already exist.

1 Like

Well, if that is the way it is, so be it. It is not a critical issue, but to me a desirable one. Thank you to everyone for your help.

Don