Changing author metadata in iOS?

I suspect this is something that needs to be changed from outside Scrivener iOS, but I can’t figure out where, nor can I find the right combination of things to google. I have an incredibly generic name, so if I put my own files on Kindle and then search by my name, I get gajillions of results. Yes, I could manually change it every time but I’d like to avoid that if I can!

What I mean is, the name that is in filled in already when I share a file to kindle. I embedded a pic to show what I mean, but it turns out I can’t do that because I’m new.

I tried adding a unique first new name to my Apple ID just to see if it would change who it thinks created the file, but it hasn’t affected the name on documents.

This is purely quality of life, but it’s just annoying because I’m sure there’s a better way but I can’t find it :pensive:

Hello flootzavut, and welcome to the forum.

Which version of Scrivener are you using? I ask because you posted your message under Scrivener for iOS, which is the mobile app on an iPad or iPhone.

But, if you’re compiling to ePub for Kindle, then you’re likely using a computer. The mobile version doesn’t have ePub as an output file type.

Assuming you’re on a Mac with Scrivener 3 for macOS, you have two options for addressing this. One is within the main compile panel on its metadata tab. It’s on the righthand side and has a small icon resembling a luggage tag.

For a global setting in Scrivener, you can go to Scrivener > Preferences/Settings > General > Author Information.

Does that help clear this up?

I apparently totally missed this notification :person_facepalming:t2:

No, I’m using the mobile app and sending an rtf file to Kindle for proofreading/just plain reading purposes, hence the choice of title and of which forum I posted to.

If I email files to Kindle from the app, then the author comes up “unknown” (I don’t know if this is Amazon, L&L or Apple’s decision, it used to use the email address I’d sent it from as the author, but sometime in the last… six months, probably? it’s stopped doing that); sending them via the Kindle app gives me the option to give the file an author name, and it also works on the rare occasions where a file is too big to be sent via email.

I still don’t seem to have the ability to embed an image, so I’m copy pasting a link to the screenshot instead.

Screenshot from Scrivener app sending to Kindle

There is a box there that says author name. I feel like somewhere, there must be an option to change the default name there, but I can’t find it either in iOS or in the Scrivener app or in the iOS settings for the Scrivener app. I tried adding a pseudonym to the start of my Apple ID, didn’t work. I suspect it’s an iOS thing, because if I share to Kindle from other apps (eg from Files) then I get the same pop up with the same name pre-filled, but I was hoping someone knows where Scrivener (and Files and anywhere else) gets the name to add to that. I didn’t ever put the name in there (I only discovered the sending directly to the Kindle app option fairly recently), so somewhere on my device there must be a thing telling Kindle that “this is the author name for this device” but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Alternatively, if someone can tell me how to fix the email to Scrivener issue where my emailed files come up with author unknown, that could work! But I suspect that’s an Amazon thing and thus more difficult to fix. For a while Amazon did it with any files I sent to Kindle; these days, it recognises the metadata on epub and mobi files, which is an improvement, but rtf and pdf files I email to Kindle still get listed as by “unknown”.

Like I say, I suspect the automatic name that gets filled in is an iOS thing, I’m just hoping someone knows where I can change it. I have googled a lot, but I can’t seem to find a combination of words that gets me the answer I want. I’m hoping actual humans might know.

Anybody? Still haven’t figured this out.

How are you creating the RTF file? Are you using Scrivener’s Compile command, or just sharing individual documents?

Compiling, but I don’t think it makes much difference. The option to send to Kindle and the place I can change the name is the same regardless of whether it’s a compile or a single document.

As I said before, I don’t think this is Scrivener-specific, because I get the exact same panel with the exact same options if I share to kindle from other apps, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the system is getting the default author name, and haven’t been able to figure out a google query that brings me the information I need.

I actually have the ability to attach a file now, which I didn’t previously, so this is the option I mean:

It’s the window that comes up if I opt to share a file, then choose the kindle option. “Add to your library” just means whether it sends it to the kindle app on my device only, or if it actually appears in my kindle library so I can download it to any kindle device associated with my account. I can change the author name to anything I want, but the default it comes up with doesn’t change. Given I typically use this option multiple times a day, I’d like to be able to fix the default rather than have to change it every single time.

(I can also send files by email, but at some point the metadata got broken there, too, because any files I send from Scrivener to kindle via email come up on my kindle as being from ‘unknown’. It makes it a pain to search for my own files on my kindle. I’m fairly sure that was at least partly
Amazon’s fault, because it happened with files from other sources, too (for example the files app, mobi and epub files from other sources, pdfs), but while it’s been fixed for most files now, it still doesn’t work when I email files directly from Scrivener or that I’ve saved from Scrivener.)

I feel like iOS must be grabbing the “author name” default from somewhere, but I haven’t been able to figure out where.

I’d like to be able to change the default it’s using to something more unique, since my given name is very common and searching for it on my kindle brings back many results. Given google has not been able to help me, I was hoping an actual human being might have more success because I can explain what I mean, whereas google only works if I can figure out the right combination of things to search, and so far I haven’t managed to crack that.