Changing auto-save location

I feel silly asking this. It should be easy. But I can’t see how to change the location of the auto-save backups.

Keep up the great work.

Mike

Hi,

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “auto-save backups” - there’s no such thing as auto-saved backups. The project itself auto-saves, if that’s what you mean - if you want to change its location, then just close the project and move it in the Finder. Apologies if that’s not what you meant.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith. I just didn’t make the terms clear. That’s what I wanted though.

Cheers

Mike

Glad it helped!
All the best,
Keith

Mike,

I have a question along similar lines. When I save a file, it automatically gets saved in my ‘documents’ folder, which make my documents folder quite busy. Is there any way that I can set it up so that all of my Scrivener files saved into a particular folder of my choosing? It seems a bit tedious to have to manually drag each Scrivener file to a particular folder.

Bw,

Luke

Hi Luke,

Maybe you misunderstood Keith’s reply. If you close Scrivener and then move the saved file to where you want it, then it will continue to be saved in that same place. You don’t have to keep moving it. I also save a zipped file at the end of each session, saving that to the desktop and then dropping it into my Scrivener Project file and Dropbox to save it online but that’s all I have to do. Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike/Keith,

I am aware that you can change the location of a project. But, when I open a new project and save it, Scrivener has the default save location to “~/Documents”, and I have to manually “choose” another file if I don’t want it in “documents”. I was just inquiring about the possibility of setting the default save location to a specific file, so that I don’t have to “choose” one each time. Is there a way to do this?

Cheers,

Luke

Luke,

Scrivener doesn’t automatically choose the Documents folder at all - you get to choose which folder your project gets saved to when you first create the project:

Mike’s question was only about changing the location if you change your mind later.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

And the only reason it always selects Documents is because that is the application default. Once you change it to another location, it will always select that new location as the preferred default—so you should only have to click the Choose button once, unless you change your default location a lot.