I have an interesting problem with Scrivener 2.6 (25480) running on a MacBook Pro (Intel Core i7) with OXS 10.10.2.
I have a number of folders (chapters) containing text pages (sections). One particular chapter is screwed up such that if I change the “Major Label” for the folder to ‘chapter’ the first section turns into a chapter as well. If I reset the first text page back to section the folder turns into a section.
I’m not sure how it got this way and I could not find any existing bug that seemed to match. Let me know how I might be able to resolve the problem. Turning on hidden characters did not provide any clues.
Nanaimo BC, Canada
Just in case you were unaware, and as a point of trivia, you do not have to set the label to “chapter” or “section”. Those aren’t used by the compiler for anything, they are just for your own reference.
Okay, that aside, I’m not entirely clear on what you’re describing, so I’ll use a screenshot to explain what I think you’re saying. In this screenshot, I have set the View/Use Label Color In/Binder option for clarity:
[size=80]Effect after applying the orange label to the folder.[/size]
If that’s what you get, then it would be best to send us a copy of the project because that sounds like a serious bug. What I would do is, with the project open to make sure we get an accurate picture of it in its current state, go to the project in Finder, right-click on it, and choose to compress. Send the .zip file this procedure creates to our support address, and reference this thread URL in your message so that it can be relayed to me.
In the meantime, you may wish to create a new blank project, and with this one closed, use the File/Import/Scrivener Project… menu command to bring the content of this project into the blank one. It’s basically a way to rebuild the entire thing from scratch. Then set this one aside for safe keeping, but go on working in the new one.
If you have confidentiality concerns with sending us a copy of the project, then you can just send us the structure of it, that’s all I really need to see anyway. Instead of compressing the project in Finder, right-click on it and select “Show Package Contents”. Copy the “.scrivx” file that you’ll find at the top out to your desktop with Option-drag, and then send us that. This only contains the names of your items in the Binder, no content.
I am seeing exactly the same bug.
Here is the first screenshot where you can see the scenes have the correct label but the chapter also shows a scene label.
Here is the second screenshot where the chapter now has the correct label but one of the scenes then adopts the label of the chapter.
Dkblinux98: It looks to me like you used the inspector to change the label. See how on the corkboard you have that card selected, and in the Inspector, the same card is displayed at the top? Try clicking on the chapter folder again, so that the inspector displays its name and synopsis card, and it’ll probably be blue. Then you can change the folder’s label using the inspector.
Or, you can just right-click on the title of the folder (not the icon) in the binder, and choose the “Label” menu item from the pop-up.
Also you can click on the background of the corkboard to deselect any cards and “inspect” the container itself. If you look at your screenshots, in both cases you are inspecting the “Wednesday Afternoon” card, not the folder.
I think the primary point of confusion here (and very likely for the OP as well) is that Scrivener remembers what you were doing. In the past, you clicked on the Wed. Afternoon card, so when you select that folder once again, that card will still be selected and thus inspected in the sidebar. No amount of clicking on the folder in the binder is going to change the selection inside the corkboard, which is 100% all the inspector uses as a reference for what it should be inspecting.