Changing Header Info - please help me

I wrote a Novella and changed the title. Now I can’t remember how to change the header info so that the Name/Title/Page number info is accurate.

I’m new at using Scrivener, but I have spent three days searching the tutorial and user manual. A search for the word “header” brings up hundreds of references to the header bar. It is inordinately difficult to find the simplest information. It’s very frustrating, because I’m not accomplishing anything. Just spending hours in search of a basic control. I am definitely not writing. :frowning:

Please help!

I should probably add that I am running Scrivener 3.3.1 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Unless one goes well out of their way to erase the dynamic page header with a static piece of text, there is ordinarily never a reason to dig all the way down to where that is set up.

Normally it just pulls it from the Metadata compile tab, on the right side (the one that looks like a dogtag). I guess that raises the question: how did you change the title of your novella, if not doing it there? That is the one place where most all other places that use the title would be driven by.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 4.01.34 PM|384x84
Do you mean this one? I click on that and can’t change anything.

I’m not sure what you mean by just clicking on it. There are fields in there that set your title, author name, and short title (often used in headers). These do not change what you see in the output?

Nothing is editable. At all.

At some point, I manually changed the header info. The “title” reads as an acronym which I remember creating. But I don’t know where and it is no longer relevant.

I changed the title under synopsis. That changed what is viewed in that window. But nothing changes on compile.

Why can’t this be simple. Click here. Change this. done. Really…

Hmm, I don’t know why the fields are not editable. I can think of no situation in the software that would cause that.

At any rate, the place where they are manually set up is in the compile format itself. Over in the left sidebar, double-click on the highlighted format you are using to edit it, and then in the format designer window, select the Page Settings section.

Here is where you will find all of the header and footer fields, in that second tab. Do note that if you have a more complex document set up, with front matter and so forth, you might need to change it in several places.

By the way if you do want to set it back so that it uses the Metadata pane instead, the placeholder code is: <$projecttitle> for the long form, and <$abbr_title> for the short form.

2 Likes

@AmberV You are my favorite person in the world this week. Thank you!!! That gives me what I need.

Glad you got it sorted out! :smiley:

1 Like