Changing RTF file names?

There’s no synch in the windows version. But most folks know you CAN synch the windows version - by saving the entire project folder in your Dropbox file on the PC. Then on your external device (tablet, in my case), you open the RTF files, edit away, and save. It saves to Dropbox - which downloads to the PC, and you have seamless sync from tablet to PC.

Works great.

The one flaw is the files are named things like 3.rtf, 7.rtf, 10.rtf, etc. And they’re not in strict numerical order, either. This can make it difficult to figure out which RTF files you want to edit, when there grow to be a lot of them in a project.

Is there any way to rename those files?
If there is not, COULD there be? :slight_smile: It would be VERY useful. For now, I put the notes from the index card into the yet-to-be-written files, so I can tell which is which by opening them. But this is clearly not as efficient as it could be.

A quick note re a workaround that might help… I’ll post a followup in a bit…

Make a copy, elsewhere, of the projectfoldername.scriv/Files/search.indexes file and view its contents. It contains information tying meaningful internal Scrivener narrative name to numeric operating system file system name. It is in structured plain text form (XML). While one can view its contents with something as basic as the Notepad text editor, it is best viewed with an XML aware text editor that recognizes and presents the structure. For Windows, Mac and Linux, UltraEdit is one such (costs, but free time limited eval available)… there are others, probably including several free ones (do a search on “free XML viewer” or “free XML editor”). For other environments (tablets, phones, etc.), there will hopefully be some.

The simplest work around I know of is…

1. Select whatever files you want to transfer to your mobile device.
  2. File->Export->Export Files … to a dropbox folder that can be accessed by an app on your mobile device.
  3. Edit on your mobile device
  4. Back on your PC, sort the folder by date modified.
  5. Copy & paste the contents of the files which changed.

KevinMc,

While inconvenient for the use you discuss, it’s a necessary design feature rather than a flaw, due to Scrivener projects being databases (comprised of multiple folders, files and indexes) rather than a single simple file like a Word doc.

Such an approach is necessitated by a variety of issues, including…

• The possibility that the user will want to create duplicately/identically named items, which would result in a collision/overwrite of files in the operating system file system.
  • The possibility that the user will want to use unusual text characters in item names that are not legal/allowed in the underlying operating system file system.
  • The possibility that the combination of a long file system path to the project .scriv folder, plus a long item name, will exceed legal/allowed file system path or name lengths.
  • The likelihood that the user will create items out of sequence.
  • The likelihood that the user will move items around within the project hierarchy.
  • Etc.

If your tablet/phone is an iOS device (iPhone/iPad), the forthcoming iOS version of Scrivener should resolve this. Availability is hopefully some time this year, but L&L quite rightly takes a “when it’s done” approach and does not state a date. If your tablet/phone is an Android device, it will presumably be a longer wait.

Possible workarounds include those that robertdguthrie and I mentioned above and possibly others.

There may or may not be existing apps for the iPad or other tablets that are sufficiently Scrivener aware as to be able to know/show which meaningful item name equates to which file number, such that one can work on an item/file at a time? Textilus? Maybe/maybe not.

Hope that helps or at least makes sense.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

In large part due to the continued small disconnects between Scrivener and every Android office package I tested, I returned the Samsung tablet. Nice device, but long run - not working for what I needed. Got an iPad instead, and Textilus syncs great, as I am sure many of you know. Had it up and running in minutes.

Still the issue with filenames, but I can bear that until the iOS version comes out. :wink: