Changing Subtitles: "Synopsis" and "Notes"

Hello L&L.
Perhaps now would be the time to render a compliment that is not often conveyed: The authorship of the Scrivener manual must have been a daunting project but it has been exceptionally well executed. Thank you!

Something I have not been able to glean, perhaps because there is no way to do what I am trying to do, is how to change the subtitles on “Synopsis” and “Notes” when compiling a document.

For obscure marketing purposes that I am almost embarrassed to relay, I should like to change the subtitle “notes” as it appears after a Synopsis and the main text of a text-object to “Insights”. I fear that “Notes” might be hard coded. Is this true? Or is there a way to change the subtitle?

Thank you! It’s always nice to hear it even gets opened, let alone proves itself of use. :slight_smile:

So these subtitles are indeed hard-coded, but that’s not a critical problem since they are inserted into the text before Replacements run, meaning you can search for the text of these titles and change them to something else—or even remove one of them entirely (if you don’t want “Text” for example).

To do this safely however, you should make use of the more advanced Replacement wildcard syntax, Regular Expressions.

1. After ticking the Notes and Synopsis checkboxes in your layout settings, click over to the Replacements format pane.
  2. Click the + button to add a new replacement, and in the Replace column, add:
^Notes$
  1. In the With column, type “Insights”, and finally, tick the RegEx box.

The “^” symbol instructs the search engine to only consider lines where the very first word on the line is “Notes”. The “$” is the same kind of thing, only it requires the stuff preceding it be at the very end of the line. Thus if you use both of them together like this, it describes a line that must consist of only this word.

The second example goes like this:

Replace

\nText\n

With: [LEAVE EMPTY]
RegEx: [ON]

This is very similar in that “\n” stands for a newline, which we’d expect to see around every line, and thus it only finds cases where “Text” is on a line of its own. The important difference between these two examples is that the newlines are included in what is found. Hence when you replace the word “Text” with both of the carriage returns around it, the result is to completely remove that line from the output, leaving no gap around it.

It is implied, but is worth clarifying: putting these Replacements into the compile format itself means it now functions differently on its own, and can be applied to other projects you create in the future. If you had put the Replacements into the project settings, back in the compile overview pane, then only that one project would work differently.

Of course! Credit where credit is due.

This was exactly what I needed and works like a charm. Thank you!