Chapter break errors compiling "selection" of manuscript

When I compile full manuscript (select manuscript in drop down list in compile options) the novel compile preset outputs all my folders correctly as chapters.
However, using same novel compile preset, if I select a subset of the manuscript - ie maybe the first few folders and their scenes, either by selecting ‘from selection’ in the drop down compile list, or by selecting a collection that contains a few folders and their scenes from within the manuscript, chapters stop being formatted correctly:
1: Each scene in a chapter folder is given a chapter name and number but no page break).
2: (Suspect this one is not a bug) Chapter numbering starts at ONE for each chapter selected. For example, if I select chapters 10 to 20 to compile, CHAPTER TEN will be named CHAPTER ONE, with the first scene in that chapter folder being named CHAPTER TWO, etc.

Hope this info is helpful.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

This isn’t a bug but intended behaviour. When you compile a selection, it is presented as a flat list in the contents table in Compile, and thus everything is top-level. Only the top-level of the “Formatting” options used for a hierarchical structure will therefore be used, so in this case, the top-level formatting is the “chapter” formatting. You therefore need to change the “Formatting” options to better match what you are compiling.

All the best,
Keith

Oh, okay.
Thanks Keith.

Depending what you’re doing, you might find it easier to continue compiling the manuscript draft, rather than the “current selection”, and then just adjust which documents are included in compile, since this will maintain your binder hierarchy. You can select multiple documents in the contents tab of the compile settings and Opt-click in the checkbox to check or uncheck all the selected.

Another alternative is to use the Filter feature in the Contents pane. Set it to include the current selection. Filters work differently from the main compile group selection at the top, in that they retain the original hierarchy. They work by removing or adding elements based on the criteria you provide, in place, rather than assembling an ad hoc flat list. This way, you don’t have to change your Formatting, as filtering—even if it completely removes the top level folders, will still consider a level 3 file to be a level 3 file.