Chapter Breaks in Word after compiling

Hi,
When I compile to word, my chapter breaks in Word are not present. Instead I see # inserted. I suspect when I type “Chapter 14” or whatever chapter, that I am suppose to do something within Scrivener to indicate it is a chapter??
Thanks!

Look at compile format you choose. Double click to edit and go to separators. Will the separator that is currently set for your output and can change to line or page break.

Thank you. I highlight my chapter title, such as “Chapter 12” and click FORMAT/STYLE Heading 1 and that appears to work, sort of. I think I need to read the manual further. I hate to have to work for hours on my compiled output word file. Appreciate the help.

Maybe a better idea is to follow the Compilation sections of the Interactive Tutorial. You can find the link to the Interactive Tutorial in the Help menu.

It sounds like you have a layout meant for scenes assigned to your chapters. They would insert a “#” symbol in between scenes, as is customary, rather than a heading and a page break.

I agree it sounds like you could use 30 minutes in the tutorial, as putting a styled heading into a text editor somewhere, as you describe, won’t do much for you. Ordinarily Scrivener would insert the “Chapter 14” for you, and renumber it to 15 if you add a new one above it, rather than you having to waste hours doing that yourself.

Incidentally most of our provided project templates are set up to work out of the box. So it may be you either started from scratch and do not have much of a setup to work from, or maybe you took the template and chose to use it another way than it demonstrated. Either of these are perfectly fine to be clear! It just means that you’ve wandered off the easy path at some point, where we had set up Scrivener to work a certain way for the template. That means at some level changing the setup to work for you and how you chose to write. Scrivener can adapt to nearly any approach, even the most chaotic and lacking in obvious structure.

The most common variation in fact is one we document in the template’s help file at the top of the binder—that is, writing shorter single-scene chapters and storing them in the draft as a flat list of text items. It’s a few simple switches to get that working, and your flat list of chapters will no longer be printing as a flat list of scenes.

But if your situation is more unique, that is where the tutorial will help. It explains how to tell the software what your list means, and then how to select what those parts of the list look like when you compile. Just finding the Assign Section Layouts button in the first place will help you out!

Thanks! I think you are right. I’ve enjoyed Scrivener as I have finished my entire novel. Its power is amazing. It is only when I try to compile it now into Word so I can seek an agent that I am running into issues. But I can make the adjustments in word now manually if I have to. However, I need to start on a new novel so will certainly review the tutorial to set it up correctly. Thanks again!

There is always that too!

That said, I think you could get to what you want pretty easily by clicking the button at the bottom of the middle preview column (which probably has hashes in it!), and then selecting something with a page break and heading for whatever Type you see listed in the content listing for them. Even if it says “Scene” right now alongside each chapter that’s just cosmetic. Chances are extremely high there is a “layout” that already does exactly what you want with no fuss—or at least gets you so close it’s just a quick touch up in Word, as you say.