Chapter Number even on Prolog

I use the Windows version on Windows 8.1 with the latest version of Scrivener.

I have a Prolog in my book with 29 chapters. Granted, I named the first Folder “Prolog” and the second folder “Chapter 1” so I may simply have it setup incorrectly but… when I compile the book into Word doc format using “Novel Standard Manuscript Format”, the Prolog gets a chapter number too. It looks like this:

CHAPTER ONE
Prolog
blah, blah, blah

CHAPTER TWO
Chapter 1
blah, blah, blah

CHAPTER THREE
Chapter 2
blah, blah, blah

How can I get this setup to either not automatically add the Chapter heading OR to set it up to correctly identify Prolog versus Chapters so it does happen automatically (letting me give the chapters meaningful names)?

The chapter numbers are being added as a prefix for folders in the Formatting section of compile. You can remove it simply by selecting the folder row in the table at the top of that pane, then clicking the “Modify” button below. In the new window that opens, select “Section Layout” and then just delete the text in the “Prefix” area. You may want to click through the other rows and also delete the prefix from any of those, since you’ve already added it to your titles directly in the binder, but whether or not that is actually affecting your output depends on how your binder is set up. If you’re not getting the “Chapter” prefix for anything but your folders, that’s all you really need to change.

Alternatively, you can keep the prologue from getting the prefix by making it a different document type and/or level in the binder. The about document in the Novel template may go into this a little, if you’re using that project template, but essentially you just want to set up the prologue to be different from the other “Chapter” items so that you can format it differently in compile. Just like you saw above, the level 1 folders–i.e. all folders that are immediate children of the Draft folder (called the Manuscript folder if you’re in the novel template)–are all getting that “Chapter” prefix. If you right-click the prologue folder and choose “Convert to file” to switch it to being a text document rather than a folder, you could remove the chapter prefix from the level 1 text document row in compile (or the level one document group row, if the prologue has subdocuments) but leave it for the folders.

MemeticMouton,

I read and re-read your suggestions and finally it dawned on me what your answer meant. You stated it perfectly, but I’m new to the software in several ways. I got it and it worked! Thank you SO much. The Prolog now shows without the ‘Chapter x’ heading and I can get this compiled correctly now!

:slight_smile:

thanks!
Nick