Chapter Numbers.

Scrivener tells us to not worry about chapter numbers. That they will be auto generated at compile time. But is there a way to have an incrementing number in, lets say the title of each of my folders in my binders. Naturally the folders are chapters themselves.

Hi Adam,

Yes, absolutely. You add them at Compile time via the “Formatting” pane. Select the folders row, click on “Level Settings…” and add an auto-number (e.g. <$n>) for the chapter title prefix. Take a look at the novel project template for an example of how it is done (check out the different ways it can be compiled).

All the best,
Keith

I know it happens in the compile but what if I want the numbering in per se my outline… as i’m working on the novel.

Ah, I see. No, that’s not possible - not “live” anyway. For that you would have to add the numbers yourself.
All the best,
Keith

Yes, another cool feature I didn´t know about (always wondered what those hieroglyphs in brackets were…). Could have saved me some time had I known this earlier. But anyway, very practical for the future!