Chapter Section Type not an option?

I’m trying to do a Compile using my newly upgraded Scrivener 3, but I can’t seem to get any chapters (no new pages, chapter # or chapter names, nothing!). It just divides everything with ###. Every tutorial I’ve found says that for the Novel Format I should be select “Chapter” as my section type, but all I see are Structure-Base, Heading, Subheading, Section and Section Start. This project was imported from version 1, where it was a Novel with Parts. Is there something I’m missing somewhere? TIA!

1 Like

That is all set up by the compiler options, you have to assign the types there.

I always refer to this post online when I need to work this stuff out:
Chapter titles and numbering (Structuring in Scrivener) | ScrivenerVirgin

Hope it helps.

1 Like

This is an official post on the same subject that goes into more detail about assigning the compile styles too: Scrivener 3: Redesigning Compile | Literature and Latte

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Teriodin I guess I wasn’t being clear. I know where to assign them, but the options there don’t include Chapter or Scene or any of the options that the tutorials say should be there for a Novel Format.

1 Like

You might have a look at our upgrade guide, which explains how to transfer settings from the older version of Scrivener: Upgrade to Scrivener 3 for Windows | Literature and Latte

Section Types are inherent in the project, not the Compile format. Since your project was created before they existed, it doesn’t have them.

Also, there’s nothing magical about “Chapters.” You could use “Heading” instead, or create a Type with a name that’s meaningful to you, and still assign the same layout.

1 Like

That may be so, but “Chapter” is not a Scrivener feature. English words are not a feature, and not everyone writes in chapters.

To format Compiled exports, you need:

1. documents
  2. section types
  3. assignment of section types to documents
  4. a compile format
  5. a section layout in Compile for each section type
  6. assignment of each section type to a layout
  • Steps 1 and 3 are entirely up to you, always.

• Steps 2, 4, 5, and 6 may be prearranged in the project template used to create your project.

• If you have a need the template didn’t satisfy, you may have to revisit all the steps.

• Page breaks and other separators (like ###) are assigned to section layouts in the Separators pane of Compile (after opening a Compile format)

2 Likes

In the dropdown where you can assign a section type, there’s a + sign for adding section types.

1 Like