chapter title line breaks when compiling?

Good People,

First, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I’ve tried both searching the site and reading the manual (which I do find confusing), and can’t find this particular topic covered. If it has been, please kindly point me in the direction I should be looking.

I’m trying to get my chapter titles to have line breaks, and I’m not quite sure how to do it. On the left under the “Manuscript” folder I have all my chapters named, and when I compile my manuscript they are, naturally, put on one line. However, I’d like to have the chapter titles break into different lines (see example below) and I haven’t found how to do that. For example, let’s say I have the following under Manuscript as the title to my first chapter: Chapter 1 This is the Beginning, John (New York, 1920). When I compile it comes out like so:

Chapter 1 This is the Beginning, John (New York, 1920)

However, I’d like to have the option to break that up into lines, like so:

Chapter 1
This is the Beginning
John
(New York, 1920)

Is there a compile setting that allows for this? Oddly, I consider myself technically savvy but this software seems counterintuitive to me, so I’m struggling. Many thanks in advance for any help sent my way. On a related note, is there a reason the [center] [/center] bbcode isn’t working on the site?

There is no way of doing exactly what you want, because there’s no way you can tell software such as Scrivener to insert return characters at meaningful places to you. You could in theory set up a replacement to replace spaces for return characters, for instance, but that would affect every space in your book.

Instead, a better approach would be - in the case of your example - to do the following:

  1. Name the document simply, "The Beginning.

  2. Use separate custom metadata for “John” and “(New York, 1920)” (you can set up custom metadata fields in Project > Project Settings).

  3. In Compile (creating your own Format), for the Section Layout you use for your chapter titles, have a title prefix that is set to “Chapter <$n>” followed by a return character.

  4. And for the title suffix, add the two metadata fields (e.g. "<$custom:myField1>).

The only limitation here would be that “John” and “(New York, 1920)” would need to use the same formatting since a title suffix is a single block.

I’m not sure it will ever be possible to make Compile immediately intuitive and still be able to format nearly any project structure into nearly any document format, but I have spent many years trying…

Many thanks! I hadn’t received notification about your reply. I’m going to give that a go and see how it works out.

Thanks again!