I had the chapters all worked out and they compiled properly, but suddenly, I can’t get the Chapter numbers to work. When I compile they don’t appear, or they appear as: “CHPATER ONEtitle” I can’t get the “title” part to go away, and I don’t know where it comes from.
I have only folders followed by documents. How should the settings be done to get:
blah blah bla . . .
blah blah blah, etc.
Here’s what I get when I compile using the Novel with Parts template, and the Novel Standard Manuscript Format:
CHAPTER (NO NUMBER)
Chapter 1 (which is the title of the folder
Document Text . . . .
Page break -------
Document Text . . . .
And so on. The bottom line is 1) the first chapter does not have a number, and 2) I can’t get rid of the title of the chapter folder. This is new. I had it working.
Yup, this is a known bug already spotted on the forum. The problem is the “Not on page 1” setting in the Page Settings compile option pane. That inadvertently affects the chapter title counter as well as the header/footer. This has already been fixed internally and will be available in 1.2.4, so if you do not need to compile immediately you could just wait. If you do need to compile now, turn that option off and reset your headers manually in a word processor after compiling.
I’ve tried switching ‘not show’ off and it’s STILL showing as ‘Chapter’, not ‘Part’. I’ve just bought scrivener and have spent so much time (literally DAYS AND DAYS) trying to fix this so it views properly after compiling. It’s really frustrating - what can I do after ticking the box off. by the way do you mean ‘not show’ rather than ‘note show’. I’m just checking I’m doing the right thing.
I am using Novel with Parts, standard manuscript. I’ve moved the scenes up a level and moved chapter folders to trash, as the template notes advised if I don’t want to break chapters into scenes. As advised I’ve turned the ‘not on pg 1’ off but still get this.
YOUR NOVEL TITLE
by Your Name
THESE SHOULD BOTH BE PARTS
I’ve done the tutorials - went through all of it. What I need to know - how do you format a folder to display ‘part’, ‘chapter’ etc? IF I build my own template with folders for parts and text docs for chapters, if I then compile it as manuscript, will this get rid of the bug and display properly?
There are two different things going on here. The person I was responding to was having a very specific problem with a bug whereby the first numbered item will be skipped if a certain option is engaged. Disabling that option will return the number to the first item. So you would get “Chapter”, “Chapter One”, instead of “Chapter One”, “Chapter Two”.
You’re talking also about working with the structure of the project, or what gets called Part and what gets called Chapter, etc. All of this is done in the Formatting pane. It is not some kind of automatic feature, but rather something that is specifically set up to compliment a particular binder structure. What it sounds like to me, as you mention in passing that you are using the “standard manuscript”, is that you’ve selected the standard manuscript format preset—and that preset uses a different structural assumption than the compile settings that came with the novel with parts template. It’s important to understand that the Formatting pane is the sole descriptor for converting a structure of folders and files into such human constructs as “chapters” and “parts”, or invisible stuff like scenes. If you change the preset from something that is set up to work with parts, like the Novel (With Parts) default settings, to something that does not define parts, like the example standard manuscript preset we provide you, which just assumes chapters, then yes absolutely, your binder output will become chapters and scenes and because that is how that preset defines what you’ve assembled.
You just need to edit your Formatting compile option pane so that level 1+ folders print “Part #” instead of “Chapter #”, and your text level 1+ files to print “Chapter #” and maybe enable the titles if you want subtitles, rather than just printing the text as though they were scenes. While that would be a good learning exercise, to see how the compile settings dictate what becomes what, it might be easier however for you to get the template settings back. Just make a throw-away project using the Novel (with Parts) template, open Compile on it, expand the pane, save the settings to a file, then open your main WIP and load those settings into the compile panel to get the original structural definition back. What I’d do is load the Formatting pane before you load. Just click through the items in there and see what it looks like in the preview panel below. Note how things are set up by clicking on Modify and then Section Layout. See how something being a “Chapter” is nothing more than a title prefix that prints “Chapter” along with a number code. Then load the novel with parts template settings and go through the items again—see how they have changed. Hopefully this A and B comparison will give you some insight on how this works, so that you can more fluidly work with the software in the future. The templates are meant to simply be guidance; your effective use of the software will be more agile and complete once you understand what makes the templates really tick, rather than simply knowing how to manipulate a template within the guidelines it has been set up for.