charachter density

I’m new, and in general really like what you’ve done with the program. Struggling with learning curve overload, but your tutorial is well done.

The one thing that I did find irritating is that when I copy and paste a Word document over, the letter spacing becomes much tighter in Scrivener. I was straining my eyes to edit and finally figured out why. I can fudge the settings and stuff, but it’s inconvenient.

It would also be great to be able target notes to specific places in the copy - I’m hoping this is possible and I just haven’t figured out how to do it yet.

Hi,

Glad you’re liking the program so far. Scrivener uses the OS X text system, the same as TextEdit, whereas Word uses its own custom text engine. I think Times New Roman in the two systems is slightly different (tighter in the OS X text system), but I find it fine. Obviously 12-point TNR is very small at 100%, so you will probably want to view it a 125% or larger for it to have the same sort of density as in Word.

As for notes per specific places in the text - no this isn’t possible at the moment (although there is a feature that allows this in the next free update). The idea is that you split large documents up into chunks, and each chunk has its own associated notes. You can also make annotations (Text > Annotation) within the text that can be stripped out when you print or export.

All the best,
Keith