Character Names as spelling mistakes

I am just starting out with my first short story and had read good things about Scrivener. I’m currently trying the free demo and have imported some text I had written in MS Word. I noticed that all of the character names are marked as spelling errors. That makes sense, as this is a sci-fi short story and they are not common English names.

Once I set up characters in the binder, I expected the spelling error marks would go away, but they did not. I also created a Scrivener link between one of the names and the Scrivener character but that only marked one instance of the name in the text.

Am I missing something? I would expect that if I link a name to a character that I could click on any instance of the name and link to the character information and that the software would be smart enough to know that the name was not a misspelled word.

is there a way to do this, or do I simply need to add the name to the dictionary list? My concern is that I don’t want these names to be accidentally allowed as words in other stores I write.

Thanks for giving Scrivener a try! The Scrivener links are merely internal hyperlinks to reference your documents; they are not associated with the spell check. To have the words always recognised by the spellcheck you’ll need to add them to your personal word list, which you can do by right-clicking the word and choosing “Learn Spelling” or by typing them in directly via the Personal Word List from the Corrections tab of Tools > Options. The spelling list is global, so it will affect all your projects, but you can easily edit the list to remove the words when you’re done this project, or if you’re willing to do a little more work you can swap out the .ini file that the word list saves to so that when working in different projects you can choose a different personal word list. This file is saved in C:Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Scrivener\Scrivener\wordlists.ini. Scrivener will always look for that file name to access it, so you can change the name to have a new list created, then change names to swap back, etc. I think in most cases this is probably more extreme than you need, but for lengthy projects with a lot of added words that you would want flagged elsewhere, it may be worth swapping out.

You can also choose “ignore spelling” to suppress the underlining for a word, but this only lasts for the duration of the session and will still affect all projects open that session; when you quit Scrivener it will be reset so the next time you open the project the words will again be underlined. This is something we have on the list to improve if possible, so words are ignored more permanently and on a per-project basis, but we’re somewhat limited with the tools we’re using, so I don’t know when or if this will be possible.

Thank you for that detailed response! Now that I have tweaked the tool to my liking, I am beginning to see its value.