Character Smartfolder

Hi,

I have just been using scrivener for a short time now. It’s a pleasure…

I am wondering if it would be possible to have something like character smartfolders in the screenplay section. What I mean is: Under the screenplay section there would automatically appear as many smartfolders as characters. Each smartfolder would show all the scenes in which this certain character appears. You could read all the scenes of one specific character there and could check the development of this specific character in the screenplay. And you would be able to do this for all the characters separately. But it should be just a “view” of the scenes of your script. So if you change something in the character smartfolder you would change it in the actual script. This “view” also means that a scene would be in as many character smartfolders as characters would be in this specific scene. I somehow think it would be a great help for the coherance of the characters in the script.

I hope it makes sense. Looking forward to scrivener 2.0.

Cheers

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

May I suggest taking a look at saved searches?

One thing you can do that is already built in is to use keywords to indicate which characters are in a given scene, then have a saved search (appears in the binder) that searches for all scenes with a given keyword.

The saved searches are basically the same as smart folders.

Yes, saved searches would definitely be a good way to do this.

As I said, I am only a scrivener beginner… Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out.

Cheers

Sebastian

Hi, sorry it’s me again… I just dried these saved searches but they have one disadvantage: You cannot use the the outline or corkboard view to see the several scenes at once. Would it be possible to show these character searches even in these “corkboard” and “outline” views. I think it could help during the development of the script. And if there would be the possibility to set the character names as keyword so you do not have to type them each time it would liminaed the problem of misspelling…

Sorry, I am just thinking…

Cheers

Sebastian

Hi,

This is coming in 2.0. For now, though, if you select all of the results of the search, you will see them as cards on the corkboard.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

looking forward to 2.0…

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hi,
im trying to find information on smart folders, but cant.
it seems a collection is basically a smart folder?
however, i dont seem to be able to make saved searches of things i need.
Such as Date modified, date added etc.
I hoping to make folders that show recent items aded etc

any tips?

Thanks
Luke

Hi,

Yes, a collection is basically Scrivener’s alternative to smart folders. You create saved search collections by clicking on the triangle next to the magnifying glass in the search field in the toolbar and selecting “Save Search…”. You can use the same menu to choose what to search by. You can’t search by created or modified date, though, I’m afraid. The best way of looking at the most recent items would be to add the “Date Modified” column to the outliner (by clicking on the “>>” button in the top-right of the outliner) and then click on the header of that column to sort by the modified date. Clicking again reverses the order of the sort, and clicking again returns it to being unsorted. So you could sort it so that the most recent items were at the top.

You could combine this with a saved search collection. For instance, you could search by Status, perhaps searching for “No Status”, if that’s the status your new items will have (it is by default). Then save the search collection. When you choose the collection, the binder will get replaced by the results. Click into the header bar at the top of the binder to load all of the results into the current editor, switch to the outliner in the current editor, and search by “Modified Date”. The outliner will now show the search results sorted by modified date.

It’s a little convoluted because it’s not really the sort of thing that Scrivener is set up for, but that’s probably the best way.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

I don’t know that this says anything more than what Keith just suggested, but it’s another way of walking you through it: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/what-templates-do-you-want-in-scrivener-2-0/8131/73