Character Substitution on Compile

I love Scrivener and could not imagine writing without it. I’ve never had a problem with it. However, I’ve had a problem for a little while that I can’t find the answer to (could be poor searching).

When I compile my manuscript it is doing several strange things. It is inserting a bold line that is the title of my index card prior to the text. The most critical issue is that it is doing character substitution through the entire document.

For example: “truth” becomes “tznth”. Wbmxn = women, “onn” = one, etc. So N = T, Z = R, B = O, N = E ( although n remains n ).

I have compiled to most formats. An export shows that all the rtf documents are fine. Other projects written before and after this one behave as expected. If I copy and paste a chapter into a new project, it compiles correctly. Settings in this project exactly match other projects.

I am on Yosemite, however, the problem existed on Mavericks, too, in this one project.

Any help would be appreciated. I do not look forward to taking a 120,000 wd manuscript and all of the documents in research, etc and creating a new project out of them. Is there another solution?

Thanks.

Hi, doutreval, and welcome to the forum!

AFAIK the only place where Scrivener does substitutions at compile time is in Compile/ All options/ Replacements.

Can you look there? Is there anything that might be the cause of what you’re experiencing?

And I would further remark that you should check within the preset tab of that Replacements pane, as that is where these probably will be. You must have used the “NaNoWriMo (Obfuscated)” preset at some point in the past. We have this preset for those that are concerned with uploading their novels to the NaNo servers for word counts. Scrambling the text does not impact the count.

Thanks AmberV and r6d2!

There were substitutions in “preset replacements.”

I don’t do NaNoWriMo. I could not even remember such a setting. When I looked at the compile presets I had it unchecked. I don’t know if that is default or not.

So, I’m not sure how the replacements got there. I’m sure it came during some 3AM writing frustration when I should have been sleeping.

Thanks again for the quick solution.