Cheers for Scrivener and Keith

Every now and than I like to remind everyone how lucky we are to have Scrivener and Keith. This is the best application, ever. Can you imagine a day without it? Or in other words what would be do if Keith left us? So please, lets all take a moment and wish Keith a wonderful day.

Good day.

Best,

Michael

Thank you. :slight_smile:

We should set this in the future, so that there can be all these neat devices and everything. But the devices won’t really work, naturally, because they are all running some weird future version of Word–which bloated until it became its own device platform of sorts.

The mood will be very “Brazil” – a nightmare scenario where sometime in the forgotten past Keith will have sold Scrivener to a malevolent corporation (i.e., Microsoft). Seeing the power of the software, MS understands that its dreams of world domination can finally be realized. Rather than continue Scrivener as a force for liberty, MS develops it into a terrifying totalitarian regime where all are answerable to “The Binder”. This is where we go full screen with the storm troopers and lots of them.

Oh, and there should be ninjas. And maybe a cameo with Keith on a zip line? Yes, definitely on a zip line.

And a comic scene where a small, angry dog with three legs gnaws on a Radish while a vicious parrot screeches and shrieks with laughter.

There is a tale here that serves as a warning to us all (voice changes to that of Private Frazer from Dad’s Army). Once upon a time there was a multimedia authoring tool for the Mac called mTropolis. It was totally intuitive and groundbreaking, allowing object oriented programming through drag and drop icons and looked set to wipe the board with the competition at the time (Director). Like Scrivener it was a pure joy to use. The company was bought out by Quark and two months later they killed mTropolis to protect their own application. For the next year or so desperate mTropolis users raided their piggy banks in an attempt to buy back the code from Quark, to no avail. It was the perfect example of an excellent application produced by a few visionaries destroyed by corporate mediocrity and cynical greed.

Didn’t Ecco Pro, a full-featured PIM at least ten years dead but beloved by a group of Windows users (including me at one time) and now still deployed by some under Vista, go the same way? I think so (although there I think it was euthanased because the new owner didn’t believe it would survive in the face of competition from MS Outlook).