Choose elements of Inspector in Preferences?

I love the fact that you included Notes with the Meta-Data so I don’t have to keep switching between Notes & References and Meta-Data.

I love the adjustable Notes window in the Notes & References area of the Inspector (and I wish the Notes in Meta-Data with Notes was adjustable, too).

I do not use the General section of Meta-Data (label, status, etc) often, nor the Keywords or References section. This is just wasted space for me that could be better used with an adjustable Synopsis and Notes window.

They say you don’t get what you don’t ask for, so here I am asking.

My wish is to be able to not have to switch between Inspector views for the parts I use most often.

I would like a custom Inspector view that could be defined in Preferences, with the elements (synopsis, general, keywords, notes, and references) chosen to display being adjustable (like the Notes & References section is).

Does that make sense?

Putting the Notes with the Synopsis is a step in the right direction, but there’s still all that wasted space (for me) in the center with the General information. If I could take out the General info and adjust the size of what’s left, I’d be most happy.

Thanks for listening. This is a wonderful program, I’ve found I like it better than even RoughDraft. I can’t wait for the finished version. I’ll buy it in an instant!

Oops. This request used to be in the FAQ, but I removed it since all of the people who had wished for a customised Inspector simply wanted to see Notes and Synopsis together. I still have the text for the answer though, so I will add it again when I get home.

Basically, it would take a ton of work to make this work in a reliable way. If you look at other Cocoa applications which use a sidebar type system for information, you’ll see that most if not all keep it very simple. Some do not even allow resizing of elements. The one I know of that allows customisation (Path Finder) offers what basically amounts to a selection of list entries that you can choose from. There is nothing as complex as the various views that Scrivener allows.

The reason for this has to do with limitations in Apple’s window split functions. A sidebar is just a split in the main Scrivener window (along with the Binder split and the editor splits), which is then itself split multiple times. Each time you split a window, it gets exponentially more difficult to control the elements inside of the splits – at least that is now I understand it.

AmberV,

Thanks for the quick answer. I’m a latecomer to Scrivener, so I haven’t seen/read all the old FAQs. I’m not surprised to learn that I wasn’t the only one requesting this. I know little of Mac OS (I’m a new Mac recruit) and even less of coding. Trying to implement my wish sounds extremely complicated. I can certainly live with the compromise Keith made. Adding notes to the synopsis has already saved me a lot of time switching back and forth. There’s still that big chunk of useless General space in the center, but oh, well.

Maybe in a few years, in version 2.0 or something, it’ll happen. Until then, I guess I can learn to live with it.

Thanks again!

There will be no customisable elements in the foreseeable future, if ever, as I have stated before. The current inspector is already vastly superior to many, it is flexible and allows for a lot of information to be entered and accessed quickly. Sadly, it is just impossible to please all of the people all of the time, but I am slowly learning to live with it. :slight_smile:
All the best,
Keith