Clarify No Media in Draft

Both your manual and the new Take Control book say that the Draft folder can not include Media. This is true in the sense of importing media files. However, I have had no trouble including Figures for papers. I think they come in as something similar to an inline graphic for Word. I go to the file in the Finder (actually PathFinder) and just move to page and place on the page where I want it in Scrivener.

I raise this because for many writers being able to include images in papers (such as scientific figures, etc.) is an absolute essential. If I had read this more buying the program (which I love) this might have led me to look for another. The images I include are exported without any trouble during a compile.

Further clarification for me. I assume that what Scrivener does is create a link and pull the linked file during Compile (or maybe include the original file in the Scrivener Project package). Thus doing something in Scrivener such as making the image smaller with the pop up thing does not degrade the original image quality and size? Is that correct?

Minor point. PathFinder allows you to copy the Path of the original image finder. I put this with the image as a non-printing Annotation so I can find the original if I want to change it.
Not necessary, and probably too much, but making the path to the linked image accessible (something like the Links palette in InDesign), would be nice. Until I started noting the path name it was sometimes hard to find original files when I went back to my writing much later.

Incredible program.

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for the kind words. Ioa will have to comment on the manual, but yes, you’re right that there is no problem inserting images into text files anywhere, be it in the Draft or elsewhere - it is only that you can’t place media documents inside the Draft folder. We probably do need to highlight the ability to import images into the text itself a little better though.

Regarding how images are stored, actually there are two ways. First, if you just drag the image into the text or use Edit > Insert > Image From File…, then a copy of the image data gets placed in the file, converted to either JPG or PNG internally (unless it’s a PDF, which remains a PDF). Resizing should be non-lossy, though.

Alternatively, you can use Edit > Insert > Image Linked to File… This will place an image in your text (which can still be resized) but without copying the image data into the document. This will instead just link to your file on disk so that the underlying data is never changed and if you update the image on disk it will be updated here too (although you may need to close and reopen the project to see changes if you do update it externally).

Note that if you bring an image in as a link like this, you can ctrl-click on the image and select “Open in External Editor…”, which will allow you to open the linked image in the default external editor. You raise a good point that it would be useful just to get the path though. I have therefore just added a “Reveal in Finder” item to this menu for 2.1.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

This is probably a good example of how commonly asked questions can end up becoming a counter-mantra used to dress a feature for its intended purpose. Over time the question about not being able to import or drag graphics into the Draft has evolved into frequent statements that you can’t do so, in documentation and other places—and so sending the wrong message eventually. :slight_smile:

I’ve adjusted the wording in the first paragraph that really discusses the Draft in the manual, and will keep an eye out for other cases where this stipulation is brought up without its unsaid and intended counter: that you can, just not directly in the outline and out of context with the manuscript.

Can we please have a keyboard short-cut for this? Or perhaps better a “hold down key” during a drag and drop onto a page?

I’m thinking about using this to outline a visual technical manual with about 300 pictures. I didn’t want to import them all into the .scriv folder because that would make the Dropbox sync too large.

Actually on that point, since Dropbox is Mac OS “aware” would placing a .scriv folder in the Dropbox create an incremental backup of files that change, or would it try to re-upload everything?

Cheers,
Mike Smith

It does work on a sub-file level, so you can place a large project on Dropbox, and after the initial long upload, incremental edits to it will only take as long as it does to upload the new material. And yes, this does also mean that you get sub-project versioning, though it is not recommended you use this except in recovery situations. Do read the “Scrivener Everywhere” section in the manual (pg. 131), as it covers some things you’ll need to be aware of when working off of a Dropbox folder with a .scriv file.