Cleaning up Forum posts

This is a wish item for the forums, not Scrivener.

Recently the Novel in 3 days with a vengeance has totally taken over the Announcements index. The Announcements usually contains things like new versions of the program coming available. Does it really need to be taken over by 100+ posts a day about this fun play? Couldn’t the Novel in a Day posts go over to the Now for that Latte index?

I usually read the posts via RSS and want to know about problems and tips and new versions, and man is it a slog to wade through all those posts … with a vengeance.

thanks, asotir

I second this concern.

I have enjoyed being subscribed to the Scrivener Forums RSS feed. But the Novel in 3 Days thread has become so bloviated that I’m giving serious consideration to unsubscribing. Who will benefit if I do?

For those of us who use the RSS feeds to stay informed about, even offer solutions to, Scrivener issues, the Novel in a Day thing is getting in the way…

Cheers, thanks, & hope this helps,
Riley
SFO

There should be a new heading called:

PROCRASTINATION: I LOVE IT

And a whole lot of stuff could be filed there.

:unamused:

Well, shucks guys. Sorry for the inconvenience. By way of compensation, help yourself to a free copy of the book:
pigfender.com/index.php/2013 … niad-2013/

You might even enjoy it! :smiley:

The ‘novel in a day’ posts did take over the RSS feed for a day or 3, I’m afraid. :frowning: And I’m sure nobody objects to the NIAD threads being refiled in another section of the board, as you suggest, or the RSS to be filtered somehow so that it doesn’t include NIAD posts.

However some of us are also here for the like-minded community behind Scrivener, not just the news updates. And I think there’s value in NIAD for that. As long as a restructure hasn’t not happened I hope we can be considerate of that the fact that since NIAD is a once-a-year day-long activity and it is now over for another year, it will clear out of the RSS soon enough.

Sorry that we disturbed your feed, but I for one enjoyed taking part in NIAD, and as Pigfender said, you may perhaps enjoy the result if it’s your cuppa tea.

Again on behalf of the NIAD supporters and paticipants who share my sentiments, sorry for the disruption we caused. We’ll be out of your hair soon.

Best,
Victoria

Thanks to all for the civilized discussion and understanding.

Cheers & thanks 'gain,
Riley
SFO

Yes, and while we’re at it can we get rid of all that gobshite drivel in the newspapers about pop stars and fecking foopball and chefs which I’m not interested in and which I have to fecking take the effort to not fecking read thus depleting my powers of discrimination for when I need it later on? Or at least make the gobbogues who write the things supply a one-line summary of the stuff so that I don’t have to read it in order to decide not to read it?

Just one line — “Foul-mouthed fecking TV chef in twerping arse vocalist foopball shock” — at the head of the story? They could call it a “headline”. Save us all trouble.

(You could do the same in online fora. Have things under headings, so that we could decide that we were not the feck interested in anything appearing under, say, “Cleaning up Forum posts”. How hard can it be?)

There. That lowered the tone, I think.

I would like to add my apologies if we took over the forum for a while, but it is a once a year thing and what we must not forget is that Scrivener and Scapple are getting good use during this one day. Call it the yearly testing :slight_smile:

I don’t see why we can’t just move it on over to the And Now For That Latte forum, once a locked announcement thread has been posted here. Just provide a link there for discussion & questions, but have a moderator post replies to the thread for the occasional update or reminder.

Except the difference is that the stuff about pop stars and football and chefs aren’t typically in the US/World news sections. They’re in their own sections: Sports, Entertainment, etc.

What the people in this thread are asking for is that the NIAD posts be placed in an appropriate section, which “Announcements” obviously isn’t.

Also, while the NIAD thread might do well to foster community togetherness, looking at some of the responses on that thread to this one seem to do just the opposite, when people are calling others “wimps” just for wanting an uncluttered RSS feed, etc.

It’s hard to want to be part of a community when someone who has a dissenting opinion is treated uncivily.

While sensitivity is a cardinal virtue, it could be a trouble on occasion, causing needless fretfulness and a sense of encroaching hostility which this most pathologically civil of fora could never in reality generate. (I exclude myself here from the ranks of provocateurs simply because no living creature could mistake the register – or schema if one were a professional rhetorician – of my previous comment for anything other than the vulgarest of parodical satirising.)

(On the other hand it’s a lot quicker to flick past an obviously irrelevant RSS line than it is to dismantle the unspeakable bought-and-paid-for PR slobber from the 10% of the newspaper marginally worth reading, throw the dreck in the recycling bin making sure to throw the plastic in the other recycling b-- NOT THAT ONE THAT’S FOR HARD PLASTIC IT GOES IN THE OTHER PLASTIC RECYCLING BIN jaysus help us. But I bet you a million pounds there’s someone out there who thinks it’s inappropriate to make gags about recycling.)

We know about who you can fool and for how long. But it should also be remembered by all, at all times, that you can’t please everybody any of the time.

Yes, if you look at the available checkbox options for RSS feeding, having the NIAD juggernaut in Announcements doesn’t probably make much sense. Somewheres else would be good.

Guys, there is a reason why it’s in the Announcements section and not in lower traffic areas.

Fellow crew members,
NIAD, is a uniquely Scrivener event, as far as I am aware, and its yearly upcoming is as worthy of notification in the ANNOUNCEMENTS forum, as anything that has already appeared, therein.
The NIAD thread has received 5134 hits, so its content is obviously of interest to many other crew members, whether or not they deem the ANNOUNCEMENTS forum to be, ‘appropriate’ or not, only three of them have taken umbrage, and voiced their disapproval. It would be nice to think that unlike those three, the remaining 5131wished the the NIAD exercise, and those taking part, success.
It would be even nicer, had the, three, in the interest of ‘fostering community togetherness’, cut the NIADers some slack, and shown a modicum of patience, and wished those taking part, success, too, instead of exhibiting: insularity and anal retentiveness

I don’t often agree with my mousehound, but when it comes to discourteous responses to this thread, in the NIAD thread, her’s is the only comment that I can see, that in any way impacts on this thread, that being, that some folk have no sense of occasion… which I consider valid comment. I can find no evidence of ‘wimps’.

And! If there had been anything of importance worth ANNOUNCING, during the NIAD deluge you would have found out soon enough.

Vic

Civilized only, and fast eroding methink! :smiling_imp:

An outside observer might think the suggestion had been to take away a favorite stuffed animal from a child. How else to explain such emotional overreactions to such a simple suggestion?

The suggestion arose, as more suggestions surely will in future, because new categories of Scrivener users are coming aboard. Many of these new users are not aspiring novelists, and so don’t believe that NIAD = Scrivener = Scrivener Forums. Calm down and maintain a sense of perspective for Heaven’s sake…

Cheers & have fun,
Riley
SFO

You are right SFOparky, this was a legitimate request.
However, for reasons I am having difficulties to pinpoint, it rubbed against the grain: maybe it is the “clean up” that suggests something dirty is going on, or maybe the tone? Maybe it is just the high level of energy pumped up last week end that collided with that of folks that did not participate?
I don’t know.

Good things are coming though: thanks to Ioa, your feed is sparkling, and I have a boring week end coming up. :slight_smile:

Have a great day!
Fred

Perhaps the reason it rubbed the wrong way:

Many of the early adopters were writers,

…not lawyers, doctors, advertisers, professors, students, or gurus of the sort who joined in recent years, calling for blue backgrounds under white text or bibliographies in Hittite.

And then came Windows. :open_mouth:

One crowd loves to discuss writing, while the other wants techno bulletins on CPU usage.

It’s the Tragedy of the Commons. :mrgreen:

this one thing created more "cruft’ for the original scrivener users than any single event. There was a similar suggestion made to provide Mac v Windows feeds and the new windows crew very brusquely displayed the middle finger and told us old timers to “suck it up”.

While I am as “frustrated” by the cruft in the scrivener forums as anyone else, I will return the favor and suggest that we all just “suck it up” and let folks use the forum in any way L&L approves. Which, given KB’s (the person who actually IS L&L) participation in NIAD, the NIAD posts clearly are.

Do you see what you have done, people?
Capture.JPG