Close project and leave Scrivener open

When I have one project open and I close it, Scrivener 3 closes. I cannot find the setting to keep Scrivener 3 open while I change projects.

Why don’t you open both projects (and close the one you’re not using after that)?

Looks like Scrivener doesn’t have a multi-document interface, but a multi-instances interface.

1 Like

I believe the setting you are looking for is in the General: Startup tab: Show template chooser when there are no projects open. You can open projects from that as well, so it can serve as a nice nexus for the different projects you use, and saves you from having to go through the whole startup sequence.

1 Like

What’s the difference between multi-document and mult-instance?

Multiple documents open in the one instance of the program, vs multiple instances of the program each with one doc is how we used to describe. I’m assuming that’s what @AntoniDol means.

1 Like

In Scrivener you can view multiple projects in multiple windows, or you can view them as tabs in one window … but neither of those choices is multiple instances of Scrivener.

I know :slight_smile: padding to 20 ch

How do you get to that situation? You can import a Project inti an other Project. But tabs?

On the Mac the command is Window → Merge all windows (putting all the projects in a single window). Below is an example with two projects open. I’m not sure it’s available on Windows.

Don’t have access to Win at moment, but don’t think Scrivener Win V3 does Tabs

I couldn’t find it in the Windows version, but that doesn’t prove it isn’t hiding somewhere.

It’s not. Windows Scriv can’t group projects in tabs. :frowning: (*)

My recollection is that tabs is a capability that comes ‘free’ with the Mac dev framework, which QT does not have.

(*) Unless you buy a 3rd party tool like Groupy.

Best,
Jim.

1 Like

Instances are essentially unheard of on a Mac, whereas on other operating systems it is very common that each window is running a parallel copy of the software. One can crash without taking down the other, which is nice. That said I don’t think Scrivener is technically that. There is one central thread that they all share, which can be evidenced by awkward situations where opening a modal dialogue (like Compile) in one blocks interactivity with every open project—and like on a Mac if one project crashes, they all go down. On the other hand you don’t have to go through the whole startup sequence every time you open a project—so that’s the advantage.

It’s not even that, I would go further to say that it’s not a function of the software at all, but rather the window manager.1 I have tabs available to me on Linux, for example—but that’s because I can tab everything. Unlike on a Mac, I can put a project, a PDF viewer showing the file it compiled and a dictionary tool all in the same window.

On the Mac you can’t mix different programs together like that, and indeed you can’t even mix different window types within the same program (project windows and quick reference panels cannot be conveniently stacked together), and some types of software cannot support it at all because of the type of window frame they use (Scapple).

If Windows 11 were to add tabbed windows to the system, I’m sure it would work fine with Scrivener though. Unless they decided to go down the same path Apple did and make things difficult for developers. :slight_smile:

1) Naturally there are some programs that have tabs programmed into the interface itself as a design decision, and that is something almost every programming toolkit “supports” in the sense that one can cobble together such a thing from rudimentary building blocks. In most cases, such implementations are limited to simple views though, like browser pages or text files in a coding editor, rather than compilicated UI such as Scrivener’s project window.

3 Likes

Groupy looks awesome. (If you must use Windows.)

It really is!

The ironic thing is that I use it for everything in Windows 10 except Scrivener. :pouting_cat:

My ideal scenario would be to keep a bunch of Quick Ref panels tabbed together. This would be a wonderful way to keep frequently accessed notes & research close at hand.

Unfortunately, Windows Scriv v3 Composition Mode currently doesn’t play so well with Quick Ref panels. I frequently use Comp Mode, and when it’s launched, any Quick Ref panels that are displayed are sometimes arbitrarily moved around on the screen. When this happens, the Groupy tabbing is broken and the QRs all become individual panels again. So right now, it’s a non-starter.

I submitted a bug report for this, and I remain optimistic that it will be fixed someday. :grin:

Best,
Jim

The window manager isn’t software?

I am not sure why you are asking me this question, it seems like a non sequitur.

I suppose I’m wondering what “the software” means in the sentence I quoted, since the window manager is obviously software.

Window management features are separate from the software that is running within the window.

1 Like

System software vs an app, then.