cloud capability

I’d like to work on my writing projects between my iMac and my Mac Book Pro without having to save to an SD card and transfer back and forth

You could do what I do. I keep the main project file saved on my flash drive and whenever I switch from my laptop or desktop I open the file from the drive. I have scrivener set so that it backups to my documents folder on both systems so that the latest copy is always saved to either computer in case my usb drive fails. It’s a bit backwards but it works well for me.

All software is capable of taking advantage of the so-called cloud services, since they are merely a way of keeping your hard drive up to date between multiple machines. Thus, anything placed into those areas that are monitored by these services will be likewise kept up to date automatically.

There are a few things to be aware of, as this is like all technology, not magic. When rapidly transferring large amounts of data around the world and back again, it is important to make sure Scrivener is actually getting all of your updates and not just some of them. In practice there are some easy guidelines you can follow to avoid latency issues like this that can result in internal conflicts.

Using Scrivener with Dropbox

And this is the only time I’ve wanted “voting” buttons. but then I couldn’t vote on just this phrase, could I?

Well, one thing that it has going for it is that it means so many different things, depending on who is doing the selling and who is doing the talking, that the term “cloud” ends up being entirely appropriate (for all of the wrong reasons).

To the OP: I’m being a technical curmudgeon here, ignore me. :slight_smile:

As a technical curmudgeon, I completely approve of a general disdain of the phrase “the cloud”. Last time I checked, water vapor is EXTREMELY detrimental to large scale virtual compute platforms. Dry conditions are much better for large scale compute platforms.

My favorite was VP who finally lost it with Cisco, EMC and “A Wonderful Service” provider. He looked out the window on the one cloudless day and said “so where are my apps on a clear day?” 5 seconds of silence followed then he launched into his tirade about vendors assuming everyone was a stupid as marketing types assumed. Let’s just say that for one minute I was not the bad guy in the room.

I’m following a current trend to create cloud-based writing software.
You write on any browser, any platform, and any machine.
Your work is always stored online and you may share or collaborate easily.

Google Docs is a venerable example, and now iWorks has caught up.
EverNote and SimpleNote are well-known for notes and drafts

But some new experiments include
Fargo and Oak Outliner, both html-based outliners
Gingko, which creates 3-column “trees” for simple story, essay, or script writing
And LitLift, which calls itself a “free online novel writing application”

All are works in progress. But I think this trend will only grow and grow.

fargo.io/
oakoutliner.com/
gingkoapp.com/
litlift.com/