CMD-OPT drag to import alias

In the OS X Finder, if you drag a file somewhere while holding down command and option, it creates an alias to the original file, rather than moving or copying the file.

It would be great to replicate this function in Scrivener. So, if you drag a file into the binder while holding down command and option, it should import that file as an alias. (Whereas if you drag the file in without holding down command and option, you’ll import it as usual.)

Isn’t that a great idea? I think it’s a great idea!

Devin

I’ll add this to the list for future consideration, although one problem with it is that users might expect it to work with text files as well as with media files, whereas text files will always be fully imported and converted. (You can current import aliases using File > Import > Research Files as Aliases…)

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for considering this option!

One suggestion, which you may have thought of already: In the Finder, if you drag while holding down option, the cursor acquires a green plus sign, signifying that you’re about to copy a file. If you drag while holding down command-option, the cursor turns into a curvy arrow, signifying that you’re about to make an alias.

You could replicate this behavior in Scrivener to make it clear whether a file will be fully imported or simply aliased. So, dragging a file to the binder without any modifier keys would show us the green plus sign; dragging a media file with CMD-OPT would show us the alias arrow; dragging a text file with CMD-OPT would show us the green plus sign.

This would prevent the confusion that you brought up regarding text files always being fully imported. It would also have the added benefit of making it obvious (through the green plus sign) that importing a file basically copies it into your Scrivener project, and that (quoting from the manual), “the original copies on your disk will not be removed or altered in any way.” (Right now, the cursor behavior for Scrivener’s drag-and-drop import feature is identical to the cursor behavior for moving a file in the Finder, although the outcomes are different.)

Of course, there are always more issues that I, the user, haven’t thought of. But anyway, I like using drag-and-drop, and I like aliases, and maybe something like this could help me do both.

Thanks again,

Devin

I think it is a very good idea, I was looking for something like that because linking is the best way to not have too big projects, and when you have a lot of files to link to, such a keyboard shorcut for drag and drop would be very time-saving !