Cockboard, Notecards, and Outline to Manuscript

Though I did go back a couple pages in this forum for any posts relative to my question, due to limits in how I learn I have not yet found anything analogous enough so…

Upon re-watching several of the tutorial videos a couple days ago I discovered I can change one of the more annoying, particularly on this new laptop, features to Scrivener: note card size. Now that I can see the buggers clearly and my eyes don’t glaze over from trying to read them… New doors opened to me in data organization.

The making of outlines has confused me for years, until I could suddenly read all the titles of the notecards across the corkboard. Now I’m new to organizing stories on paper and not just in my head, but poking at finally writing the novels I have held in my head for years unable to write them due to… Well too much data all up in my head to track effectively… And suddenly I could see what everyone has forever talked about notecards.

The form I am considering using is:
: I am considering having an outline folder independent (read, separately in the binder) of the manuscript folder.
: I will have the scenes and chapters/sections parallel named between the two.
: The synopsis of the scenes will be in the notecard data field of the manuscript section, so I have a quick reference of what needs done with this scene or that as I write, without cluttering up my mind about the minutia.
: The notes, brainstorming, scene pieces details, and stuff I just don’t realize yet will be needed in a novel sized writing, will all be contained within the file stored within the outline area NOT the notecard within the manuscript area.

Since it is the little details of how to do things that gives me trouble understanding, is there a better way to do this, particularly within the tools of scrivener? Am I missing something obvious due to never having successfully done any form of outlining, putting structure to my writing before I put pen to paper?

Isn’t whar you need possible to do by using the synopsis field and the Notes field in the Inspector, for each card/file/folder whatever-you-choose-to-call-them? That way it would always be available, to the right, when you are working with a piece of text. And if you need to see two parts, simultaneously, you just split the Editor window.

And pieces you don’t need, yet, you just keep in the Research part of the Binder?

Your first part is what I will be doing for the scene synopsis and scene pieces I wish to hit in a scene, etc… But the rest… I cannot grasp what you mean, because I lack the critical application in-real-time parts. THAT is where my learning issues complicate advice like this and so many things I found looking through the forum threads.

Fully expecting replies to float in here and there, I’m slowly putting my idea into practice and seeing how it works in application. But with how slow I learn, analyzing why something works or doesn’t and making adjustments… Can take me months.

Like for instance, I cannot parse what you mean by “just keep in the Research” section. It is an annoying aspect of my learning issues, the difficulties when I cannot see something step-by-step or I usually cannot grasp it.

But, you have affirmed the notecard synopsis part is valid, and that is the part most important to me. If the outline “section” is just redundant and unnecessary, I can live with that. I’ve just not done this before, and want thoughts from those more experienced than I at this.

Thank you for the feedback.

The Binder is split in two parts: the Draft, where you have the text you are writing, and Research, where you keep anything you need to look at while writing.

When I started to really use Scrivener, I bought the e-book “Take control of Scrivener 2”. That really helped me. Easy explanations, systematically going through how to use Scrivener. I’ve looked at others as well, but this is the one I am returning to when I have questions.

PS. The Binder, Cork board and Outline all show the same thing, literally, only in different ways. It’s like looking at a house from different angles - it’s exactly the same house but you don’t see the same things if you look from the side or from above.

Hmmm… I guess the problem is how little I understand the research section of the binder. Research is not the word I would use for “everything not the prose part of the writing” but actual research done for the writing. Reference book materials, pictures, articles, etc., is what my mind puts under the “research” umbrella. Hmmm…

And yeah, that book is one of the ones I have considered buying, but because it is several versions out-of-date now and primarily focused on the mac side (I’m on the windows side) have kept me from spending money on it. Well and how hard it is for me to learn from self-help books. But nice to know it has been of use to you and gets your endorsement.

“Research” is just an arbitrary name. You can rename it if you like. You can also, if you prefer, create another top level folder for “Notes” or whatever you prefer to call your organizational materials. Scrivener doesn’t care.

The key distinction is that the Draft folder (which can also be renamed) is the place where the Compile command will look for pieces of your final manuscript, and as such can only contain text files. The Research folder has no such restrictions.

Incidentally, the View → Outline command will show you the selected folder in a more traditional outline layout. You can use it in conjunction with the Corkboard view. In my experience, the Corkboard is more useful for brainstorming, but the Outline view is great for tracking progress, planning the relative lengths of various sections, and so on. The View → Outliner Columns command lets you select what metadata to include in this view.

If you haven’t already, you might want to look at Chapters 5 and 6 in the Scrivener manual, which provide an overview of how the component pieces fit together.

Katherine