collapsible footnote alternative?

I’m still testing out Scrivener, though it is looking more and more like I will purchase it. The organizational features have made philosophy papers way easier to organize - I usually end up writing 20 different outlines on papers scattered all over my desk as I develop arguments.

So far I love Scrivener everything for the lack of collapsible footnotes, which tend to accumulate with the academic work I do. The ghost-notes feature seems like it would help, but it is not currently working(at least as far as I can tell).

But I understand from reading through the forums that this is just not going to happen.

So here is an alternative suggestion: have a default font setting for footnotes. Whenever text is made into a footnote, it is put in a gray bubble. Why not add a feature such that the user can create additional preferences-- so it will also turn size 8 font and gray, or whatever else the user desires? I’ve been doing this manually, but it’s sort of a pain. It won’t disappear, but will get out of the way-ish. That way it won’t take up as much room, either, though it will still be there. If I really need to see the footnote, I just zoom in. And when I export to Word (or whatever) for final processing, I can just select all the footnotes and put them back to normal. It would be a relatively simple solution that would hopefully not take up too much room. Then again, I am not a programmer, so I don’t really know these things.

Hopefully I have not just overlooked such setting, but I can’t seem to find it. Thanks,

Ghost notes changes the opacity of the footnotes, which is partly what you’re looking for. Works for me. You need to set the opacity in Preferences.

Also make sure you cursor is not in the footnote when you test Ghost Notes. It returns to full darkness when typing within it. The reason why there is a limited number of appearance options owes to the underlying Apple text system, which only provides a few tools for temporary appearance changes (that is, changes that are not actually applied to the RTF document itself). Things like font and size changes cannot be altered temporarily. That said, the way both annotations and footnotes are handled in Compile differ from the rest of the document, so maybe something could be done—that is something Keith would have to comment on.

Thinking about this, I have just added the ability to use a different footnotes font for 2.0 - it’s a preference, so you can set it to use 1.0’s behaviour if you want, or you can have a custom font. You don’t need it to turn grey, too, as that already happens if you use Ghost Notes mode; it’s just that a bug in the current version means this isn’t working properly, and that will be fixed in a minor bug-fix upgrade in the next couple of weeks.
All the best,
Keith

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like 2.0 will solve my problems.

When I said ghostnotes didn’t seem to be working, I was referring to the bug Keith mentioned - the opacity of the footnote text bubble changes, but the text remains visible. Annotations do seem to fade completely, though, so I might just make all my footnotes into annotations, at least for the time being.

-Thanks again

I would love to be able to set footnotes’ default font size in Preferences. It would address one of the issues others have raised: while it’s nice to have inline & ghosted footnotes in academic writing, it would be ideal to reduce their size. (I regularly write footnotes that are long, rambling, and explanatory.)

Thanks, Keith, for saying this is something you’re planning for 2.0. Can’t wait for that version.

yours
Michael

It is indeed implemented for 2.0. And for those who really don’t like inline footnotes, you’ll also be able to keep footnotes in the inspector. So there will essentially be two footnote streams if you use both (and you can export one stream to endnotes and one to footnotes when exporting to RTF, too).

All the best,
Keith