Collection Confusion

I recently tried to use collections to rearrange scenes from the binder. Each scene is composed of several beat files – which make the scenes appear with a drop down triangle in the binder (but not the collection). Normally, when flat files are moved to a collection they can be rearranged within the collection without changing the order of the binder. Yet, when I move a group of scenes which contain beat files to a collection and then rearrange the scenes I’m surprised that the binder changes to mirror this scene rearrangement. What gives? Why does rearranging folders in a collection result in reordered folders in the binder? Is there someway to turn this feature off? Am I doing something wrong? Help please. Thanks.

Hi,

This never happens - rearranging files in a collection never affects the order in the binder (unless there is a nasty bug lurking, but given the separation of the two features, I can’t imagine how such a bug would be possible). The only way it is possible at all is if you select some files in the collection, move them over the collection tab, wait until the binder appears, and drop the files in the binder. Beyond that, collections are entirely separate to the binder in code and there is no way they can affect one another.

Now, if you move a folder to a collection and click on it to view its subdocuments in the corkboard or outliner and rearrange those, then they will be rearranged in the binder, because you are manipulating the binder subdocuments of an item and not the collection. The collection is just what you see in the left side bar.

Beyond that, I’ll need more information in order to know what happened given that what you describe isn’t something that is possible in Scriv. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Okay. I hear (read?) you.

But here’re the steps I took which produced the problem. I have a pretty straightforward manuscript folder with several sequence folders within which are several scenes within which are several beat documents. I selected one folder and clicked the + button to create a new collection. This resulted in a new collection being created with only one element in it (the selected folder in the binder does not manifest as a folder in the collection). Since the sub-documents within this single element are not viewable within the collections window I highlighted the document and viewed it’s sub-documents in outline view. Now, when I rearranged the documents in outline view not only were they rearranged within the outline of the collection’s document, but also in the binder and the outliner view of the binder folder.

Now, it occurs to me that this problem might derive from my moving the subdocs in the outline window of elements in the collection window that originated as folders in the binder but, now, are represented by a single level element in the collections window. Whenever I move only a single level of document files (without folders) from the binder to a collection I do not encounter this difficulty – I suspect since there is no need to move documents in the outliner (they’re all in the collection window and can be moved there). So, it seems that rearranging subdocs in the outliner window changes their order in both the collections panel and the binder. Is this correct? Anyway to keep this from happening?

Thanks.

Yes, this is what I was saying. When you view a folder in a collection, it is still a folder - you just can’t view its subdocuments in the collection, because they would have to be added separately, so there is no disclosure triangle to expand it or collapse it. But if you click on the folder to view its subdocuments in the editor, those aren’t part of the collection - you are just viewing the subdocuments that folder has in the binder. A collection is just a way of arbitrarily gathering items together, but when you click on them, you see in the editor exactly what you would see were the item selected in the binder.

It’s a single-level element because collections are flat lists so you can’t see the contents of groups in collections. But, as I say, it doesn’t mean that a folder in a collection is somehow different to its representation in the binder - it is exactly the same thing. A collection is really just an arbitrary filter of your binder contents. If you want to play with the order, you do that only in the collection. If you view the subdocuments of a folder in a collection in the corkboard or outliner, those are not part of the collection and rearranging them will indeed rearrange the binder.

No, because that’s not what collections are for - collections do not change the way the whole interface works. Collections are there as a way of creating arbitrary lists of the documents you have in the binder; all of that is done in the Collections list, nowhere else.

All the best,
Keith