Color of insertion point in Composition mode

Is it possible to change the color of the insertion point in Composition mode?

I know how to change it in the Editor mode, but it doesn’t carry forward to the Editor in Composition mode.

macosxguru

Hmm, Composition mode should use the same insertion point colour as the main editor unless you have it set up to override the text colour in Composition mode, in which case the insertion point uses the override text colour. Is this not what you are seeing?

I have a theme I made for composition mode. The text color is a part of the theme. And you are right, the color is setup to override the text color.

It is possible to have a different theme for composition than the default editor view. Why is the insertion point color dependent on the text color? On the main editor window the two are not linked. I can have black text and a blue cursor. Why is it that in composition mode, I can’t seem to manage to do that?

macosxguru

I found a workaround.

The Main editor window has to share the same text color as the theme for composition mode. Then the insertion point stays the same, as you don’t have to override the text color. A little strange. I don’t understand it, but it works.

I would prefer to be able to have themes which control all the different elements and have the editor and the composition mode not affected by each other.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

macosxguru

I use a blue background / white text Composition mode that makes it very difficult to see the insertion point (I-beam). See here:

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 09.07.03 .png

Whereas in the regular editor window, it’s easier to see:

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 09.06.40 .png

I’m having trouble understanding what changing the Customizable Colors > Editor > Insertion Point color actually does. I made it red, but it doesn’t have any effect:

I’d be grateful for any advice on this.

yours
Michael

That’s strange - I just tried those exact same colours and the insertion point is obvious and white for me (when you override the text colour, the insertion point becomes that colour too). You could try changing it to use a block insertion point and try different widths for that to see if that helps.

I solved it!

The Revision mode colour overrides the text colour, and my Revision mode colour was blue – just like the background.

Thanks for your feedback.

yours
Michael

Ah, I didn’t think of that! Yes, the revision colour always overrides the insertion point colour as an indicator that you are in revision mode and anything you type will be in that colour. Glad you worked it out!