Colour not color

Just one programme in the whole world which has colour not color in its menus would be so very nice (unless of course leopard has a British interface which I have stupidly missed)

Tell me about it! As a Brit myself, the interface of early versions of Scrivener had all British English spellings. Unfortunately, they looked so incongruous given that everything else on my English machine used US spellings, and even then “colour” remained “color”, because a lot of the menu and interface items that use this word are part of the underlying OS provided by Apple rather than Scrivener, and Apple don’t do true British localisation - as with Microsoft, they seem to think it’s fine for Brits (or Canadians etc I assume) to put up with US spellings in all the menus.

So, no, you’ve not stupidly missed anything. Even changing the language to British on OS X leaves you with American spellings in the interface - it only affects the spell checker. You will notice the whole of the website and the help files use British spellings, though (“color” is only used where it is the name of an interface item; “colour” is used elsewhere) - and you have no idea how many e-mails I have received informing me that I have “misspelled” the word “licence”, which makes us look unprofessional, and does that warrant a free licence (ho ho) please. (There was even a thread recently in which someone expressed their annoyance at how I used the word “whilst”, which they found pretentious and grating, although it’s part of everyday written language in England - I have actually become self-conscious about using the word now…)

All the best,
Keith

Don’t feel self-conscious about whilst or colour or anything else.

There are many wonderful things about America, and I know many lovely Americans (I am married to one), but some of them do tend to assume that everything everywhere is (or should be) exactly the way it is in their country or town or whatnot. Some Canadians, Brits, etc. do this too although I have found (having lived in all 3 countries) it’s a bit less prevalent in Canada and Britain because neither country is super important and culturally dominant enough to have delusions about being the centre of the world. I would be hard pressed, I think, to find a Canadian or Brit who would claim their country the most powerful or most important in the world, but to Americans this is a common and almost automatic belief. It encourages the assumption that others should adapt to them and not the other way round.

I myself have had many such experiences. For example, my first name is French in origin, and I have been told by more than one American that I pronounce my name wrong.

It reflects poorly on individuals, and the education they’ve received, when it doesn’t occur to them that elsewhere in the world things might be a little different - and that’s okay.

Reminds me of an American colleague we had here for 3 years — though I could never work out why she stayed that long as she really wasn’t happy here — Doctorate in Drama Studies, New Yorker, who told one class when she got here that she was amazed to find on meeting me — a mere Brit — for the first time, that there were native English speakers who pronounced the language differently from the way she did!

Mark

Ah, pronunciation. On going to university in the South East after growing up in the West Midlands, my friends used to get endless fun from getting me to say the word “bus”, as it is said “buzz” where I come from, with the “u” much blunter. And these days I find my son’s accent extremely posh, as he’s been brought up in the south - both he and his sister say “grarss” for “grass” and “barth” for “bath”, whereas as a Midlander I have the short vowels used in the North - yet his sister has picked up the horrible London habit of saying “innit?”. And she’s only three.

I had never noticed that Apple forced us to accept US spellings in the OS until Keith pointed it out to me after I complained about an errant zeeeee in customise in the help tutorial … Now that I KNOW it really grates. Would a French user put up with color instead of couleur? (Hang on, may be they do …). Apple have made an English - proper as in British … - dictionary, why not use it?