Comment on How Session Progress Works When Duplicating a Scene

I had a word count over 2,000, and although I didn’t add or remove any text, it went to -29. Here’s what I did:

I wanted to break a scene into two. Because it had synopsis and notes that I wanted to preserve in the new scene, I duplicated it then deleted the text in the duplicated scene. Next time I looked at the session target, it was at -29.

Doing some experimenting, I’ve found that duplicating a scene with text in it doesn’t increases the draft progress but not the session progress.

Is that the way it’s supposed to work?

The rationale behind the distinction between file management operations (duplication) and editing operations (deleting text), as they pertain to a feature designed to track editing and writing, can be found here.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t splitting the scene (Documents->Split menu) do what you want? I’m not at my Mac, but when using the Windows beta I did a split, and the Document notes (along with document bookmarks) were duplicated in the split-off document. The synopsis was not, but I don’t know if that’s a bug in the Windows v3 implementation, or if it’s just how Scrivener 3 is supposed to work. Regardless, if this is how it’s supposed to behave, you’d only have to select all text in the synopsis, copy, and then paste in the split-off document’s synopsis field. That would preserve your session counts.